TWENTY

Harry was up before dawn the following morning and out of the Gryffindor Tower shortly after that with everything he would need for the first meeting. As quickly as possible, Harry made the journey to Professor McGonagall's office, his footsteps echoing throughout the empty hallways. He had spent half of the night reviewing questions and requests he had along with pointers he needed to remember. At the present time, Harry knew he had an advantage to many others his age and it wasn't his role in the war.

Reaching the gargoyle statue, Harry was surprised to see that it had already moved aside, revealing the spiral stone staircase. That never happened. Instincts immediately took over. With a flick of his wrist, Harry had his wand in hand as he cautiously made his way up that started moving the moment he stepped on the first step. His mind was already running through possible scenarios, each one more disastrous than the previous.

In no time, Harry reached the polished oak door with the griffin shaped brass knocker. He tried to listen in but no sound escaped the room. It was a toss up whether to knock or run into the room with his wand at the ready. Voldemort's dead, idiot. The threat is gone. There was only a moment of hesitation before Harry knocked on the door and waited only a moment before it opened to reveal the large, circular room.

"Mr. Potter," Professor McGonagall's voice echoed slightly before she stepped into the room from the hallway leading to the personal chambers. "I wasn't expecting you to arrive this early but I suppose its better this way. There are a few things I think you should know." McGonagall walked to the desk and sat down while motioning for Harry to sit in the chair across from her. "As you know, Poppy was one of your references and your lessons with her were documented on your resumes. The Board Members have requested to speak with Poppy but Poppy was unsure of what you wanted to disclose."

Harry didn't miss the slightly confused look on her face. He was aware that Professor McGonagall knew something was different about Harry but she didn't know what it was. There had really been no need to inform her. Besides, Professor McGonagall had never been a believer in the abnormal. "Professor, I have no problem being honest with the Board Members as long as they agree to an Unbreakable Vow," Harry said at last.

"Harry!" Professor McGonagall gasped. "Is that really necessary?"

Harry let out a sigh as he ran his hand through his hair. "Yes, it is," he said truthfully. "I can't risk the wrong people using my secrets against me."

Professor McGonagall stared at Harry for a long moment before letting out a sigh. "I may not agree with you, Harry, but it is your decision," she said sympathetically. "You have witnessed the worst the wizarding world has to offer. I suppose it is natural for you to be suspicious. Am I correct to assume you wish for an Unbreakable Vow from me too?"

Harry couldn't help smiling slightly. "No, Professor," he said in amusement. "After everything that's happened, I think I can trust you." Professor McGonagall shot him a warning look but the eagerness pouring off of her erased any uneasiness the look may have tried to cause. "I believe you remember the outbursts I used to have a few years ago?"

Professor McGonagall frowned in confusion before nodding. "I was under the impression they went away," she said briskly.

"More or less," Harry admitted. "I don't have them anymore but they—well—sort of left something behind...abilities that someone wouldn't be too receptive to. You see, Professor, I'm empathic and a natural healer."

Professor McGonagall gasped. "B—but that's impossible! That's—"

"—the story of my life," Harry offered. "I realize how improbable it may be but it's the truth."

Professor McGonagall stared at Harry suspiciously. "Albus knew, didn't he?" she asked. "That was why he requested your assistance last year when the students arrived. He knew you would find out who was a threat."