THE MURDER AT NIGHT

Unusual murders were taking place. People were being murdered brutally. The police was hopeless, there was no lead towards the killer. My best friend Kang Soo Jae; we lived together in an apartment since high school, he was like an older brother to me. He was the police investigator in charge of the murders that were taking place. Every night he came home distressed because they had not lead towards the culprit. It all started that cold winter night when a bank manager was killed in his apartment. When the police got there, the culprit was already gone, there was no sign of him, not even in the security cameras. I found about it in the news and when Soo Jae came I asked for the details.

"You're home?" I asked when I heard him entering the apartment.

"Yes." He sighed, stressed.

"I saw the news. What happened?" I asked him while getting dinner ready on the table.

"That manager; Min Hyuk, he was choked to death." He sounded sorry. "You what's horrible? His esophagus was crushed!"

"What? Crushed?" I was even shaken. "With what?" I asked.

"There were no weapons found at the crime scene, and it looks like a work of hands from the bruises. There was no sign of anyone suspicious person entering or leaving the apartment, just his wife. As soon she entered she found him dead and started screaming, people gathered, no one suspicious was even found by the CCTV cameras outside the apartment." Soo Jae sounded frustrated. "Damn it! It's driving me crazy!"

"What about his wife? What's her statement?" I asked worriedly.

"She works at a restaurant. A sudden reservation for a big party was made so she called his husband and told him she'll be late. Everything was normal back then, but when the preparations at the restaurant were halfway through, they got cancelled and she went back home. After getting home, without switching the lights on, she went to the bedroom to see if her husband's awake rather she found him dead. She started screaming and gathered the neighbors."

"What if his wife killed him?" I assumed.

"We confirmed her statement. She was at worklike she stated. And even if she killed him it would've at least taken 5 to 7minutes; to enter the house, choke him and crush his throat, Min Hyuk would'veresisted too and hurt his wife, but there were no injuries on him or her. Also, according to the security footage she only stayed in the apartment for 40 to 45 seconds."

"Right." I agreed. "She wouldn't have called the police if she did it"

"The culprit must've gotten in through the window, but the apartment Min Hyuk lived in was on the 7th floor. It is difficult to get the security footage of that side, but let's hope for the best." He sighed.

"But if someone did enter from the window, they would've been seen in the cameras. Was there someone?" I asked Soo Jae.

"No." he shook his head.

"What if he committed suicide?" I thought for a second.

"It clearly wasn't a suicide. No one can crush there throat and choke themselves to death together and it's hard to accomplish."

"Right." I agreed.

"Tomorrow morning I'll go to take statements from his colleagues about what kind of guy he was. What if someone held a grudge against him?" Soo Jae said placing his dishes in the dishwasher and going towards his room to get some rest.

"Soo Jae!" I stopped him.

"What?" he asked.

"I'll study the case and solve it with you." I said proudly.

"Why? Don't you have your cases?" he probed.

"No! These days I'm not getting many clients, I was thinking of taking a break too. You're going to need a prosecutor when you find the culprit anyway." I smiled.

"He's clever. Let's hope we find him." He left to his room.

EPILOGUE

Deep inside the woods was a small warehouse nobody knew of. Inside it was an expensive LED that only aired the news, an old wooden table with some ink pens, knives, broken bowl pieces, black leather gloves and some raw meat. Besides the table was a chair where the culprit sat. Behind the culprit was a car which was in the process of being fixed. Sitting on the chair, the culprit faced towards the TV looking at the news the night they choked the manager and smirked after licking their own lips maniacally. After switching the TV off, the culprit took their hand towards their throat and choked it just to feel how the victim might've felt. When they were satisfied that the victim had gone through a terrible pain, they stopped and laughed like a psycho.