Chapter 4: Decisions Need to be Made.

TW: Domestic Abuse, Homophobia 

AAAAGH!  Jake woke with a jolt. His heart was racing, his throat tightening with every breath. 

      "Wh-what..w-what was that? W-why? What..why..why couldn't I save him..I..oh god.." Jake could feel tears begin to fall down his cheeks, his eyes rose to the sky, the moon and the stars staring back down at him. He managed to pull himself together, attempting to make sense of the dream he just had. 

      He needed to see Reggie again. He couldn't live the rest of his life wasting away for a flock he didn't connect to, for a partner that didn't love him. Decisions need to be made, and he had better make them fast before time runs out.

      "Wait, I slept through the entire day?! I need to get back to my flock, Betty is going to have my head on a spike!!" He ran with the little strength he had all the way back to his flock, his knees nearly giving out with every stride. He reached the entrance to the small cozy clearing in the forest housing his flock. Every turkey was fast asleep, some snoring loudly, some tossing and turning, and some sleeping completely still. Every turkey except for one. Betty. 

      At the sight of Jake, she rushed forward, grabbing him by his arm, she dragged him out of the clearing, out of earshot of their flock. 

      "I'M FUCKING DONE WITH YOU! WE ARE OVER! I'M DONE WITH YOUR DAMN EXCUSES, YOU'VE BEEN GONE ALLLL DAY! WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE FOR THAT?! HUH?! YOU'VE BEEN OUT WITH ANOTHER TURKEY HAVEN'T YOU?! I BET IT WAS A MALE TURKEY TOO, I ALWAYS KNEW YOU WERE A FAG!" Jake just stood there. The words weren't even processing in his mind. All he knew was that this was the last straw. There was no chance he would ever be allowed back into their flock, Betty would smear his name so terribly that every single turkey would view him as straight up evil. His life had been uprooted once again, and for nothing more than a simple nap. His nightmare wasn't helping either, the image of Reggie's lifeless body was burned into the back of his brain. He felt no need to say anything to Betty, she wouldn't listen to anything he said now anyway. He simply turned and solemnly ambled away, head hung low, feathers gently blowing in the cold night wind.

.

.

.

A/N I am a gay man myself, don't worry I didn't just throw in a slur I can't reclaim!! Please give feedback in the comments, I appreciate any helpful constructive criticisms! Thank you for reading :D!