Chapter 40.

________

3RD POV
________

.

.

They were late, he noted, though he could understand why.

The forest was usually quiet. A peaceful silence mostly interrupted by faraway footsteps of the surrounding titans he's become used to hearing over the years and the wildlife that inhabited the area. Yet, today was another story. Explosions and strange screams were erupting for some reason.

He had deliberately chosen to move as far as he could from the path used by the Survey Corps for he knew the fate of those who left the walls, hence deep inside the forest of giant trees. He wasn't ignorant to what befell his sweet Amalia and her husband, Emmett in their foolish attempt to explore beyond the walls.

Sighing wistfully as sadness took over him whenever the thought of his family and what was left of it surged,

'Armin...'

He wondered how his grandson was doing. Was he safe? Was he still with his friends, Eren and Mikasa? What about young Colith? Is she still taking good care of them? The poor girl had to take on the roles of adults and welcome them. He wondered if they were okay. They wanted to enlist and he knew that they weren't aiming for the MPs. Garrison? Or Maria forbid the Survey Corps! He knew of his grandson's friend, Eren's, desire to join the scouts and had prayed that none of them had chosen that path.

He was about to set plates on the table when the front door abruptly opened. He didn't even so much as twitch when Isabel barged in with a wild grin.

"HEY GRAMPS! OH, IT SMELLS GOOD HERE! BUT ANYWAY, GUESS WHAT!"

The elderly shook his head in fondness as he turned towards her with a raised brow, beckoning her to go on, which she does, her smile nearly reaching her ears.

.

.
________

1ST POV
________

.

.

"Ugh...if only I could throttle past me. Dumb bitch..!"

A groan left my lips as a regained consciousness. Hissing due to the sunlight assaulting my eyes, I realized that I was in my room back in HQ. With a slight wave, the curtains slid to a close, shielding my eyes from the light. I craned my neck to look around, slowly sitting up to assess my body's condition, and yep, still exhausted as hell, though it was far better than-

'Hold on what day is it...?'

I squinted, debating whether or not to use [Instant Heal] on myself but paused when I heard noises outside, indicating that people were approaching. My gaze lit up in joy upon recognizing the voices and shifted so my feet were on the floor, facing the door as it opened. A soft smile crept up my lips when my gaze lazily fell onto Mikasa who had frozen mid-sentence upon seeing me.

"Hey! What's up with you? Stop blocking the entr...ance..." Eren pushed the door wide open then stopped, eyes widening. Behind him was Armin who was basically doing the same.