꧁Chapter 17- Village Mystery

The odds were slim but we were victorious.

It's been a while since the fight on the train

Kyojuro is in critical condition now and has been in the medical wing of the Butterfly Mansion.

There were no casualties thanks to all of us fighting, however we were all extremely exhausted and had injuries so we needed to stay at the Butterfly mansion as well for a while.

Tanjiro and his friends were doing training to gain their strength back as they were hurt the most, Muichiro wasn't hurt that bad and I just mostly had cuts from broken glass when the train went off the tracks so I was mostly fine.

I was helping Naho, Kiyo, and Sumi around the estate, we were making onigiri when I heard a tapping noise at the window. I look and see Akemi. I open the window, but strangely he doesn't fly in he just sits there and starts speaking which I found odd..

"New mission! New mission!" He squawked

Hearing this I get confused, I thought I wasn't cleared for missions just yet..

"Hey! But Lady (Y/N) isn't allowed on mission yet!" Sumi shouted to Akemi

"Yeah! And even if she was she wouldn't be doing solo missions just yet!" Kiyo shouted as well with Naho nodding beside her

I look at them, then to Akemi, and back to them. "I'm sure if master were to send me on a mission right now after that big mission it would be small. I'll be fine you three, just make sure that when I get back I can have some of these onigiri!" I say to the three girls, but they look a little frustrated that I'm not listening to them.

"Don't worry about me, my injuries were minor I'll be ok." I say to reassure them. I then finish the onigiri I was working on, wash my hands then look at Akemi. I hold my arm out to him, trying to get him to perch on my shoulder like usual.

He didn't move. I look to Naho. "Do you guys have any nuts? Akemi is acting weird and won't come with me to grab my sword so I was thinking to give him some and maybe he'd come."

Naho nods. "They're in a small jar over there!" She pointed at a cabinet. I find the jar then go back to the window, Akemi usually follows me everywhere when he comes but he isn't even coming inside..

I grab a handful of nuts, they're his favourite so maybe it'll get him to come. I need him to direct me and explain to me what's going on for the mission but I can't get him to do that unless he comes with me.

I offer of my hand full of the food to him, he usually takes them without a second thought but instead he turns his nose up to it. Odd.

I push my hand forward more towards him, but then..

"Ow!" I yell, Akemi bit me.

I pull my arm back from him and then leave, I'll come back for directions after I get my sword and clean the bite, he broke skin.

After I cleaned and put a bandage on the bite I grabbed my sword and secured it to my belt on my uniform.

I went back to the kitchen where Akemi had found me to tell me about the mission. He was still perched on the windowsill.

"Ok, can you at least tell me where to go?" I ask

"Head north, there is a village being terrorized by demons." He squawked. I nod and set off to leave, saying my goodbyes to Sumi, Naho, and Kiyo.

I headed North, on the way I stopped at a few villages, thinking they were the ones I was called to but none of the village folk knew anything about any disappearances, which is usually what people assume happen when demons are going through villages and eating people.

Soon enough I reach another village, it was sunset at this point, I entered the village but, no one was there, the strange thing about it was that when I knocked on the door of a house no one answered.

"Strange.." I muttered. I looked back to the street. There were presumably farmer's market stalls set up, they looked to be ready to sell their goods, which I found odd seeming as the sun was about to set, usually villages would sell things during the day I thought..

I go and knock on more doors and get the same response as the first home, none.

I go to a bench and sit. Something clearly happened here, why would there just be an abandoned village with everything indicating that there were people here.

"What if this was the town that Akemi told me about? Was I too late?" I think to myself, but I immediately shake my head.

Why would the items for a farmers market be out in the open if when a demon attacks it's at night. And there would surely be some sign of struggle or blood if this was actually the village and all the people were killed by demons..

What happened here?

I take myself out of my thoughts and notice the sun was completely set now. I need to be more cautious.

I stand up to do some more looking when suddenly I feel a hand grab my haori. Out of instinct I immediately get the haori off of myself so I can't be pulled and I draw my sword turning around. But no one's there?

I look around when I hear a deep voice.

"Fast reflexes, but not fast enough."

I heard it from behind and turn around once more but no one's there.

"Who's there?!" I shout.

"Perhaps an old.. 'friend'?" The voice replied, behind me again.

I turn around but as I turn I feel something grab me, covering my mouth and holding me by my arm quite tightly causing me to drop my sword.

I try to get old the hold but as I struggle I feel a sharp pain in my neck, and everything goes black.

꧁word count: 1034

꧁A/N: sorry it's a shorter chapter and that it took so long, I've been focusing on school and I'll try to write more consistently again.

Also I'm sorry that I wrote Muichiro a little unlike how he actually is because I've been reading the manga and I realize now that the way I wrote him he doesn't really act like he does in the manga

but it's too late to change so we're rolling with it, ok?

Have a lovely day/night!