Chapter 26

We all cleared our dishes, and put on jackets and shoes. I got ready before everyone else, so I walked over to the window and looked out at the white forest. The full moon shone through the clouds and illuminated the ground below. I looked out, longing to be outside where I could run free. I turned around and watched as everyone scrambled around the cabin looking for their jackets and shoes. Lilly walked over to me, and leaned her head against my shoulder. I looked over at her and she smiled.

"It's finally happening, Brooke. We are finally going to have a pack of our own." As she said that, I remembered that her dad was a wolfie too.

"What ever happened between you and your dad?" I asked. She stood still, and I listened as her heartbeat increased.

"M-m-my dad?" she stuttered.

"Yeah, your dad." She looked at me with a sad face. I could tell that my question had caught her off-guard.

"What's with the sudden interest in my dad?" she asked with an awkward laugh. It was a clever response for someone who didn't want to divulge a sensitive topic.

"Well, I mean, with it being a full moon and all, I just want to know why you wouldn't rather be running wild with your dad." Lilly looked at me and smiled.

"Since my mom wasn't a wolfie like him, we didn't know if I would be a wolfie. I guess he didn't want to stick around to find out, so he left for the wild pack with my grandparents. When I transformed for the first time, a part of me hoped he would come home for me and stay for my mom, but I guess he never found out," she explained.

"I'm sorry. I had no idea," I said. Having never heard much about her dad before, I tried to imagine what my life would have been like if my parents were still around. It wasn't really worth thinking about at the time, so I focused on the pack as they all finished getting ready to leave.

It only took a few more minutes before everyone was ready. Darryl practically threw us all out the door and down the front steps. We ran across the front lawn and over to the wooden fence. I turned my head to see everyone bundled up in jackets, shivering in the cold. You could see their breath in the pale moonlight. Corbin led the way as we all jumped over the fence. We ran from that point to a secluded spot in the middle of the woods. There was a small clearing that was surrounded by an almost-perfect circle of pine trees. We all gathered within this circle and formed one of our own. I couldn't believe it was finally happening. I was minutes away from becoming a wolf for the first time. The frost nipped at our noses as we formed a circle. All the parents were standing with their spouses. On my left stood Samir, and on my right stood Austin. Serena had Samir on her right, and Jakob on her left. Jet was to Jakob's left, and next to Jet stood Lilly. Her eyes sparkled in the moonlight.

As the final moments dawned upon us, I began to feel the pins and needles feeling in my hands. I pulled them out of my pockets and watched my veins begin to darken. I gasped nervously, and felt the sensation spread throughout my entire body; but this time, I wasn't trying desperately to stop it. Austin looked over at me, and grabbed ahold of one of my hands. I watched as everyone in the circle proceeded to hold hands with the person next to them.

"Feel the moon as it courses through your veins, slowly bringing out your wolf. Allow your body to become one with nature and give in to your primal desires. Become the wolf you were born to be," Corbin bellowed as we all felt the transformation running through our veins. I looked around and watched as everyone's eyes became yellow. I looked at Austin, and smiled as mine became yellow as well. I could feel my wolf beginning to emerge as I gave in to the pull of the moon. I took one last look as everyone was beginning to transform. I closed my eyes, and gave-in to the pull of the full moon.