Chapter 57

I folded my hands neatly in my lap and took a deep breath as I finished talking. I looked up at Cyrus and he was writing a few more things down. The room was getting warm at this point, and the guards had taken a seat behind me.

"And that's the last thing I remember," I said indignantly. The guards shuffled in their seats a bit and perked up once I mentioned I was done with my story. Cyrus scratched his beard and looked up at me.

"That's a lot to take in, Brooke. I won't deny that you told me absolutely everything you could about the events that led to you arriving at my house. You've definitely done what I've asked of you," he remarked. I rolled my eyes, being entirely fed up with his bullshit at this point. Cyrus clicked his pen and placed it atop his journal that he had been taking notes in this entire time. He placed both items on the table beside him, and grabbed his cane to pull himself up. With a swift motion of his hand, the guards instantly arrived at either side of me behind my chair. I felt the hairs on the end of my skin bristle, as their presence made me uncomfortable.

"I gave you what you wanted, now give me what I want," I hissed at him. He walked over to a desk that sat next to the fireplace and turned his back to me. He motioned his hand towards the door and said,

"Please escort her off my property." The guards instantly grabbed both of my arms and began to pull me from the chair. I growled and snapped at them, which I could tell made them nervous.

"You lying scumbag!" I seethed. Cyrus cocked his head to the side and made eye contact with me. He motioned for the guards to stop and put me back in the chair. He grabbed a file filled with papers and walked back to his seat.

"Yes, you're right, I did make a promise. I am, if not nothing, a man of my word," he said boldly. I flashed my eyes and growled at the guards, causing them to take a couple steps back.

"Tell me why you kidnapped Jethro!" I shouted. Cyrus chuckled.

"Compose yourself please, Ms. Davenport. There's no need for theatrics." I slowly turned my eyes back to normal and relaxed into my chair. "Now, that's better. 'Kidnapped' is such a strong word, don't you think?" he began. The guards made quiet sounds of agreement.

"No, I'd say it was the perfect word actually, seeing as he was drugged and brought to a place like this against his will," I snapped. I was doing my best to maintain my composure, knowing that Cyrus would withhold information from me if I didn't behave.

"Jethro was brought here to me after a discovery was made about him. You see, my son has taken a special interest in Jethro, and the two of them have become quite close. I've always known there were wolfies here in Alverton, but you all made it so difficult to acquire any evidence of your secret. I knew I would need to get someone on the inside, to learn about your secrets and your ways of life, I just wasn't sure how I was going to do it. Once I realized I needed someone young, I raised Levi to know all about your kind, and to know as much as we know about your secret. Levi knows more than you think he does, and he's been working behind the scenes since you and Lilly were little. We bought a second home for Levi and his mother so that when you or Lilly would hang out with him, you would never see his real home. We even taught Levi about other suspected wolfies who lived in Alverton.

"We lacked information about your kind that we needed for certain breakthroughs in medicine. Levi was our key to gaining your trust and luring one of you here the night before a full moon so we could conduct experiments on you to gain the information we needed. Levi has done exactly what I trained and raised him to do, and you wolfies fell for it. And now, because of your weakness, you will lose a beloved member of your precious pack," he hissed and spat as he finished his explanation. "Jethro is the final piece of the puzzle, all we need to do is kill him."