Chapter Twenty-Five

Ramona POV
· • – ٠ ✤ ٠ – • ·•· . ·' ♥ '· . ·•· • – ٠ ✤ ٠ – • ·

I can't believe I'm here.

Am I a masochist for coming here? Watching Carina walk around greeting people with her charming smile as she held someone else's arm is painful, to say the least.

I looked away and grabbed my drink as my friends chatted around the table.

What am I trying to prove by attending this banquet?

"Hey, you okay?" I heard Leo ask softly as she sat in front of me in her official clothing, embracing being a commander and it suited her so well.

I gave her a tight smile, "I'm fine."

Leo gave me a sympathetic look making me feel more regretful about coming here.

"Leo, I'm really fine. Don't give me that look," I told her before drinking my wine.

Leo nodded, "Okay, sorry," she said and looked around the room following Alia around the room as she met and greeted the Duke's family.

My eyes reached Carina and moved to the man who was beside her with her hand on his arm.

He's attractive, I wouldn't expect less from Carina's parents. He has blonde hair that matched Carina's and from this distance made them look like siblings.

I sighed. Stop, I should be happy for her that she's not marrying someone like Bryce or Charles. The Duke seemed like a good guy.

Boring but good.

He smiled and spoke respectfully. He checked on Carina at every step. I guess he's also attentive. He looked at her like she was the sun.

What more can I wish for someone I cared about?

I moved my attention from them wanting to distract myself. I turned to the doors to see Malin entering with her bodyguard.

I scoffed. Leo turned to me with a shrug, "Since the news about her being here came out, she doesn't bother hiding anymore." she informed me.

I shook my head at Malin's smirking face. Moving like she owned the place.

"I can't believe I helped to get her here. I'd much rather never see her again," I grumbled and leaned my chin on my hand.

Leo shrugged, "She's easier to handle than I expected her to be." She took a sip from her goblet and winced from the bitter taste.

I continued glaring at Malin, "Still be cautious Leo. Not everyone's heart is as pure as yours." I said.

Malin might be looking like some obedient little lapdog who follows Maria's every word or a typical knight trying to be discrete in glancing at Natalia, but I know who she is. I know what she's capable of. I witnessed everything. I felt everything.

Suddenly, my forming anger was disturbed by a cheerful "Hi!" I turned to see Isabelle with her usual smile pulling along a grumbling Danielle.

I released a breath to control myself and gave her a soft smile, "Hey Isabelle." I turned to Danielle and chuckled, "Didn't want to socialize again?" I asked knowing how Danielle is.