Chapter Thirty-Six

Malin POV
· • – ٠ ✤ ٠ – • ·•· . ·' ♥ '· . ·•· • – ٠ ✤ ٠ – • ·

It's early in the morning and I didn't have any sleep last night after finding out that Luella has been trying to kill me. I still didn't know why she would do that but I'm sure I'll find out soon.

It's only been a day but I was already tired of being in this place. The dull walls and undecorated area were sucking the life out of me.

I've been feeling okay so far. My head was still pounding and my body was still numb from the pain but overall I knew I was getting better slowly. I guess not drinking the poison for one night is already starting my recovery. I guess my body has more of a fight than I thought.

I would be back to normal in no time if I drink the tea the doctor and Maria gave me and if it was as effective as they say, but I've been staring at the cup for a few minutes now. He said it will purge my body of any poison that I ingested.

I'm just not sure I want to take it.

"Hey," I looked up not noticing that the curtain was open and Danielle was standing right at the end of my bed.

I frowned, "Why are you here?" I asked rudely. After finding out about Luella's betrayal, I started to find it hard to trust any of the people around me. They could all be out to get me.

Danielle glanced at the untouched tea on my bedside. "I need to talk to you about something important." She said.

I narrowed my eyes at her.

She sighed, "The King thought it would be better coming from me." She looked at me seriously.

I rolled my eyes, "I don't think it would make a difference." I crossed my ankles under the blanket, "Just spit it out, Danielle."

"Only the King and I know." She looked back and closed the curtain behind her before sitting on the bed in front of me. "Your bodyguard was missing the whole night. He was supposed to report about what happened to you but he was nowhere to be found."

What?

I was confused. Wasn't he here? Wasn't he the one who carried me? Or was that Danielle? The whole night was such a blur for me to have any idea about what happened to Bruce.

"What happened to him? Did anyone see him?" I asked. I was worried that I got him in this mess or probably got him hurt.

Danielle shook her head, "He snuck out of the castle the night we took you to the infirmary," she said.

I shook my head in confusion, "What? Why?"

"We finally found him at dawn. He was in your chambers. We thought he was just getting back the things that he might've forgotten inside or maybe getting clothes for you but we found out that he was trying to deliver a letter to you," she said.

I clenched my teeth as I got a hint about what was happening, "Was the letter from Vitalis?" I asked.

Danielle sighed before nodding.

That snake. And to think that I was worried that I got him hurt. "Where is it?" I demanded.

Danielle stood, "It's with the King still. The councilors said some things in the letter that made this situation much bigger than we had anticipated. It has something to do with war."