What happened?

Minutes after continuously wandering blocks I stumble upon a gas station. I step outside to fill the tank and realized my pockets were empty. *Sigh* I began walking to the store contemplating what to do next. The bells go off but no one is there. I checked the aisles but couldn't find the gas station attendant. I went outside to see if anything else could've distracted them from manning the counter. I checked the bathroom but they were empty so, I doubled back to the counter thinking that I must've missed them.
Behind the counter was a door, a break room? Hm, I hopped over the counter and opened the door and there he was. He was lying on his back as his grayish-green lifeless eyes stared into my soul. His head looked like ground beef, drenched in blood and splattered in front of him. There was no gun to prove that it was self inflicted, and no person was in sight, so how did this happen? The aftermath looked unusual like his head was ripped off or stomped on repeatedly, it didn't look like a person did it something so harsh and animal-like. But that was the closes logical explanation, and if someone didn't do it then what could've? I closed his eyes, stepped out of the room, and closed the door. I then collapsed to the floor, hands shaking, at this point seeing dead bodies wasn't out of the ordinary but the way he died was gruesome, I could see the fear in his lifeless eyes. I can't even fathom what he went through before dying. I sat there for a few minutes mustering up the courage to get back up, I took a deep breath, got up, and flipped the switch for pump number 2. I walked outside, opened the gas tank, and put the nozzle in, as the gas pump was pumping gas into the car I jumped back in fear in reaction to a noise. Now listening closely I could tell it wasn't a thump or a bang but....yelling.