What is that?

I was in utter disbelief, his accounters were similar to mine, his parents getting attacked, people lunging at him, people eating body limbs, this can't be a mere coincidence. Wait, he said they were chasing him? I looked behind him, and the groggily groaning noises that seemed to be so far but yet so close were just a block away. They're here! I looked back at him and said " hop in..." I hesitated not knowing what to call him, "Lucas", he said while hopping into the passenger seat.
For some reason being in the car made me feel safe and I'm guessing it's the same for Lucas since his breathing was now steady. Maybe it's because cars move faster, or because it keeps you locked in safe from danger, or... keeping the danger locked away from you.
"Make a right at the corner, then a left" Lucas said while pointing at the corner, upon turning the corner about 8 people were in the middle of the street, shuffling through the leaves. "That's them, the people who were chasing me", I looked at them, chunks of skin were bitten off exposing their tissue that was falling off the bone, blood oozing out of the tissue like a sponge. They instantly reminded me of the guy that charged at me, there had to be some correlation between them. I drove to the left as close to the curb as possible trying not to hit them, I stepped on the gas and- CRUNCH! The sound of the car crunching through the leaves echoed in the air causing them to turn their heads almost synchronized. They limped over to us and started rocking and banging on Lucas's door, smearing the blood from their drool all over the window, "step on the gas" Lucas said but I couldn't. I had to think quickly, how could I get them off the car so I could drive... "AHHH hurry, the window is starting to crack," Lucas yelled. "Open your door", I said " open my what?!?! But then they'll get inside and do who knows what to me" Lucas pleaded. " Since they're leaning on your door, pushing it open should knock them down, as soon as you open the door I should be able to drive, I won't let them get to you".
Lucas looked at me and hesitated but the sudden shader of the window made Lucas push open the door without thinking.