Chapter 5

Tanjiro POV:

I left the three's table and started to head towards where Aoi and Inosuke were sitting with Nezuko, they all looked at me and asked the same question.

"What happened?" Aoi asked.

"Well, I told them what happened, and they said that it was ok, and they weren't comfortable with other people knowing it, but the next time it happens they won't be so forgiving," I report.

Aoi gives a soft smile," Good on you, see Nezuko it's completely fine, although Tanjiro, you do have a knack of being friends with anyone from what I have heard," she raised an eyebrow.

I scratch the back of my neck sheepishly and smile," I think the first day has gone great!" I said and everyone agrees with me.

"But... I don't mean to ask again, but why are they so popular, do they bully people like in those books I've read?" Nezuko asks, eyes widening.

Aoi and Inosuke quickly deny that and Inosuke gets back to eating again.

"They were very popular before, because... I guess they were very nice people, but since you started off the wrong hook with them I can tell you some things about them from before," she says.

I was shocked, this was the first time I had heard people were popular because of their kindness, and Nezuko always said that I was, I never believed her.

"Tenkaro, you see Monitsu was something like you before, well a crybaby that is-"Inosuke was interrupted.

"Emo boy there was a crybaby, I'd like to believe that," Nezuko says.

"He was though, he would always used to whine and complain about very small things, but he was nice to people who could tolerate it, but an incident had happened that made him stop crying all the time," Aoi looks down sadly before speaking up again.

"Zenitsu was... bullied a lot when he was younger, usually for his ears,"

"But he has normal sized ears, how is that bad?" Nezuko asked. Inosuke starts to laugh and choke on his food, and Aoi had to smack his back for him to stop.

"Not his ears Nezuko, his hearing, he had acute hearing very strong, he could hear things like a thunderstorm in the other town or stuff like that," Aoi explains.

"Like Onii-chan, he has a very good sense of smell, he is known for that in our old village," I blush embarrassed.

"But why was he bullied for that though?" I ask curious.

"If a rumour ever got out, they would always blame him and he had, actually he still has very low self esteem, he would always get in trouble for something he didn't do,"

I look at him again, it was hard to think that he had that hard of a past, and I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

"When he came here for high school, it was like a 180 flip personality, he is still kind and he just hates bullies, must be why he forgave you so quickly, he sensed that you weren't a bully," Inosuke said.

"What about Kanao?" I ask, a weird feeling comes in my stomach when I say her name.

"She was... treated like a slave in all her old foster homes and she lost all emotions, she just didn't care after going through it all her life, then Ms Kanae and her sister Ms Shinobu found out, and they were beyond furious and had taken her and looked after her like a sister, that's how I know her, my parents worked with their family and we're also distant cousins too," Aoi explains.

"How come you know so much about them, if you never hang out?" Nezuko asks.

Inosuke lets out a laugh," We hang out, me and Monitsu are best friends, his brother knows my step father and we always hang out, but in school he does way too many student councils and activity things so we hang out usually after school,"

To say I was shocked was an understatement.

"Wait, step father?" I ask.

"Yeah, my real dad was abusive, so my mom left him with my grandmother's help and they met my step dad and he has taken care of me like his own son, to be honest I thought he was my real dad until 2 years ago," he sighs before bugging Aoi for her food.

I take a look at the three teens and they are laughing there, with Kanao putting her head down and Genya snickering at her.

Zenitsu is teasing her and poking her with a fork, and they give me sibling vibes, they are friends but they act like siblings and it makes me smile at how they changed after so long, according to Aoi and Inosuke.

Hey guys me again, I decided to update this story. This chapter was basically a background story on Zenitsu and Kanao, for Genya there isn't much change except that he lives with Sanemi.

Yes in this AU Douma is Inosuke's father, and Aoi and Kanao are distant cousins.

So basically I wanted to put the fact that Zenitsu and Inosuke are best friends, outside of school and they regularly hang out.

In the anime I know that Douma has a bad rep in the Kocho household, but this is an AU meaning that it won't happen.

I don't know how Japanese schools work, so I am doing it the same way my school works, so sorry for any mistakes.

The next chapter is going to be about them meeting up and becoming the Kamaboko squad, rather than two different groups.

This is just the starter chapters, there will be a plot in this story for those wondering.

Updates come randomly, and I would sometimes give two chapter updates or one chapter or three chapters, depending on my motivation to write.

Anyways that's all.

Remember to vote and follow for more..