Chapter 12: The Fortune Teller Said So

Baimu's Spring Festival was full of sweets: flower blossoms lined the roads and filled the gardens. People out on the streets in their best clothes, shops filled with heavy scent of tea and confectionaries. The festival would last a whole month, following the flowering season. The tail of the festival was the most extravagant, with a feast given by the Empress and the princesses. One can even perhaps fetch a Princess as a bride at the end.

The invitations were sent out two months prior to the festival. The event was closed off to foreigners. Baimu closed their borders for a whole month of this festival. Only those with invitation, whether from relatives or friends in Baimu were allowed in.

Wu Lei opened the window of his room to take in the morning air of Huanhai. "The country is next to the sea, but why does its air smell so refreshing instead of that lingering saltiness?"

"Your Highness, would you like to have breakfast in your room or downstairs at the restaurant?" Yuan Lu asked.

"Neither, I'm going out." Wu Lei replied.

"Ah? Again? Your Highness, the last time you went out you got injured on the shoulder. At least take one of the three lords with you." Yuan Lu suggested for he has no power in stopping his Prince from leaving.

Before Yuan Lu could even call for the aides Wu Lei jumped out of the window and down to the street.

"YOUR HIGHNESS!" His lips quivered and he whined in fear.

Yuan Lu wanted a different job. When he was bestowed this position by His Majesty, the Emperor, he was ecstatic. To be able to be the closed attendant to the mysterious Prince Ai was something one would be able to brag about, but instead he only received worries. This Prince of his was unpredictable. He would entered the battlefield, won glory but sustained injuries. You'd think he rest after, but he ran off and into a different type of trouble.

"Lord Xiao Tian said it before, the Prince is not to be kept out of sight, but... oh Lord Xiao Tian, you are expecting a lot out of a weakling eunuch such as I."

Wu Lei didn't go anywhere far, he only wanted to preview the city of Huanhai, its markets, and streets layouts. This little trip he went on was quite low-key. Always hiding his real identity, regardless whether if it was his Princely status, or his Young Master status, he would hide all of it. This time, he traveled as a random martial artist. His clothes were common, hair is tied in a mane, and the sword used was an old antique one from an artisan that not many knew of.

The life in Huanhai seemed more at ease, people were always laughing and enjoying the weather. It was very nice weather, not too sunny, not too cloudy. The sky was blue and the little breeze was adequate to cool him from the heat of the Southern country.

On his stroll, Wu Lei saw an acrobatic troupe, playing freely on the tightrope. A quirky smile flashed across his face. Memories of his second meeting with Huo Shang Tian came back to haunt him.

It was a rare occasion that Lu Si had nothing covering up her identity. She had no appetite so the maids suggested for her to have a little walk outside. When she saw how nice the weather was she walked out without any careful planning. No maids were with her either. Along her walk she saw a crowd, came upon the acrobatic troupe playing on tightrope.

Lu Si with her arms crossed, stared with disinterest. The people above moved along in sync with each other, dancing and prancing about. They were skillful, but she found no intrigue in them. Yet, she couldn't look away. To say that she was watching wasn't accurate either. Her eyes were locked on them, but her mind was elsewhere. A part of her memories shown that she had done something similar.