thank you, sugar

imani jyne

i found myself awake at the ass crack of dawn making myself breakfast, i'm never usually an early morning type person but once i'm awake i can't fall back to sleep for the life of me so there i was, making breakfast.

i looked at the array of breakfast foods spread out upon my bar table, i did a fantastic job if you asked me. i made myself a plate containing all contents of food i made, as i sat down to eat id realized that i needed sugar for my grits. i got up with a huff and looked through my cabinets for sugar and the tight lipped smile i had on my face absolutely dropped when i realized that i was all out.

i dramatically paced back and forth in my kitchen thinking of what the hell i was gonna do, going to the store was out of question because i didn't exactly live close any stores and my food would be cold by then and i absolutely despise reheated food. the only thought i could conjure was to ask my neighbor across the hall. i hadn't seen him nor talked to him since that night that i asked him to dial down his incredibly loud music.

i shrugged "oh well, it wouldn't hurt to try" i mumbled to myself. i left my apartment and walked across the hall, i knocked softly but firmly enough to where he could hear. i didn't even know if he was home or not but i didn't care at that point i just needed sugar and fast, but when he didn't come to the door i gave it a few more seconds before i sighed and began to turn around and walk back into my apartment. just as i was about to enter my apartment i hear his door creak open, i turn around to see my neighbor groggily rubbing his eyes in nothing but a pair of basketball shorts. i took this time to gracefully admire just how good his body looked, i was too stunned to speak.

we both stood there awkwardly just staring at eachother before he spoke "is there something you need?" he rasped "i uh- do you happen to have sugar that i could borrow?" i asked "i never knew you could borrow sugar, when will i be getting it back?" he asked with a light chuckle. i rolled my eyes "can i have some or not, indigo?" "my breakfast is getting cold now" i asked impatiently. "you know, you have a lot of attitude for someone in dire need of sugar" he stepped to the side "come in and help yourself "

i stepped in behind him and he shut the door, i studied his apartment and surprisingly it was neat and smelled nice, i wouldn't expect it from someone who parties and makes noise as much as he does. "and what's with the indigo nickname?" he asked as he guided me to his kitchen "your locs, they're indigo" i mumbled. he scrunched up his face "they're purple, are you color blind?" "those locs are very much indigo blue" i raised an eyebrow "tahaha, you're funny jit" he laughed.

ew, floridian's i thought, i gave him a small smile before he gave me a zip lock bag and poured some sugar in there for me, i smiled harder thinking about how good my breakfast was about to be "there you go, and by the way my names jahseh not indigo" he said "thank you, jahseh" i smiled again as he walked me to the door "hey, i made a lot of breakfast you're welcomed to come and eat with me if you'd like" i offered with a soft smile. so much for not being friendly, imani.

he held an unreadable expression for a few seconds before he nodded his head "yeah that'd be cool, let me get myself together and i'll be over there" i nodded and continued over to my apartment not bothering to lock the door as i knew he'd be right over.

i made jahseh a plate and began to eat mine after finally putting some sugar on my grits, eventually he came over and we ate and chatted a bit. "so what made you move into the area?" i asked "well, i just moved out of my moms shit and i just wanted something small to start off with you know?" he said, i nodded signifying that i was listening "how long you been here?" he asked "i've lived here just a little over a year" i explained "you know, i'm in your apartment and i never even got your name" he mumbled "my names imani" i sent him a tight lipped smile.

"hmm imani, that's a pretty nice name" i loved the way my name spilled out of his mouth, the rasp in his early morning voice. "thank you, jahseh" i send a small nod, he stood up "i think im gonna get going, i have some stuff to do" i stood up as well and began walking to the door  "okay, thank you i had a nice morning" i politely put my hands behind my back and awaited a response "thank you, sugar" and with that he exited my apartment and entered his own as i let out a long sigh.