8: The Prophecy

"Careful, you might trip." Yoon said what she interpreted to be in a half worried and half teasing manner.

Hisa scrunched up her nose, embarrassed at the memory of how she fell off a cliff.

She heard Ik-Su's voice up ahead. "For you, living doesn't mean spending your days in peace."

"Huh?" The princess responded.

Hisa could understand the girl's confusion. From what she could tell, this was an appearance of serious Ik-Su. The one who would stubbornly guide an unwilling person for their own sake.

Right now, he was trying to help the princess. Both out of duty to the hands of fate and out of personal kindness.

"Your life will create a storm that will shake the kingdom of Kouka." There was none of Ik-Su's usual silliness in his speech.

A strong gust of wind fluttered some green leaves off their branches. It was a sign Hisa recognized. Ik-Su said a little more than he was supposed to.

Both Hisa's and Ik-Su's breaths stilled for a moment.

"Lord priest?" The princess called him, as if he was disappearing right before her.

Yoon, Hisa, and Hak stopped moving closer when they were a little more than an arm's length from the princess.

"If you want to live an honest life, and if that burning blood of yours can't be controlled, then I will convey the voice of God to you."

Ik-Su sat further away, overlooking a waterfall and facing away. He held his hands up and tilted his head to the sky.

She felt the priest's energy shift, and Hisa's heart quickened in response.

"When darkness has fallen upon the land

the dragon's blood will revive once again,

In accordance with the ancient pact,

when the four dragons are gathered,

the sword and shield shall awaken to protect the king.

At last the Crimson Dragon shall return to dawn."

Hearing it out loud—not in her dreams—gave Hisa a sense of dread. Her heart pounded uncomfortably against her chest.

Not everything was predetermined, but a prophecy, no matter what, would come to fruition.

Otherwise...Hisa shuddered at the thought.

Moments later, Ik-Su toppled over and broke into a sweat. He smiled, managing to speak. "It takes spiritual strength to channel the voice of God."

"Quit acting so feeble, you faker." Yoon repeatedly poked him, but his eyes held flickers of worry.

Hisa noticed Hak had a dark look on his face, as if Ik-Su was a con-artist. "I don't know what this business is about dragons or gods, but I'm not buying this pot you're selling."

Yoon responded without hesitation. "He's not selling any."

Hisa went to help Ik-Su up.

He quietly whispered something in her ear. That he'd taken care of the knife.

"Pots?" She heard the princess mutter.

Yoon turned and started dusting the priest off. His clothes were dirty again.