Chapter 11

Onyx laid on his bed, headphones in as he listened to Butterfly by BTS and let his thoughts wonder. Emmeryn was starting to like him. Was this a dream? As he became immersed in the lyrics of the song, a sudden sense of dread hit him. Was this bliss temporary? Would their friendship be ruined? He wanted to stay with her for a long time. They've been friends for so long and he hoped it stayed that way. If this change in dynamic were to be ephemeral and drive them apart, it would completely crush him.

"Stop," he whispered to himself. "Stop being scared of losing people. You're not repulsive and they won't leave you. Emmeryn especially. She values her relationships and would never think of breaking them. Maybe she's still unsure about her feelings but when has she ever let her fears get to her?"

A smile appeared on his face as he remembered what happened that lunch. It was definitely unexpected. She really just approached him and asked like that? Is that what Zephyr had encouraged her to do? How long had she been wondering before her frustration finally got to her? What would have happened if he hadn't become more obvious with his feelings? She probably wouldn't have noticed and remained oblivious for years to come.

His eyes closed as he snuggled further into his pillows and listened quietly as the songs played one after the other. 'The Most Beautiful Moment in Life' albums were his favourite so far, both part one and two.

His moment was interrupted by his ringtone and he answered without checking the caller ID. "Hello?"

"Hey, are you busy?" Emmeryn's voice was soft and gentle.

"Nope, what's up?" He failed to hide the smile in his voice.

"Nothing, just wanted to hear your voice."

"Did you now?"

"..."

"I'm sorry, I won't tease you."

"..."

"Do you want to know what I was doing just now?"

"What?" Her tone sounded unbothered.

"Are you mad at me?" Onyx supressed his laugh; teasing her was fun and her reaction even funnier.

"No."

"Are you sure? I won't tell you if you're mad."

He heard her sigh before she replied in a softer tone, "I'm not mad. What were you doing?"

"I was thinking about you."

There was no response but a thud as something fell.

"Emmeryn? You there?"

A few more moments of silence followed before she answered. "I was thinking about you too."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I was doing my art coursework while listening to music. Butterfly came on and next thing I know is my thoughts drifted to you."

A chuckle broke out of him. "You're not going to believe this."

"What?"

"I was also listening to Butterfly as my thoughts drifted to you."

A gasp. "What? No way!"

"Yeah, how crazy is that?"

"Very." Emmeryn paused for a moment then carefully asked, "You'll stay by my side, right? Our friendship won't change?"

So she had the same worries as him, it seemed. "Nothing's changed, trust me. I'm still your friend and you're still my friend. That's something that'll always remain true."

"So you don't expect us to become something more?"

"Not now. Maybe when we're older."

"I was thinking the same way. I like the way things are now."