Understandings and Endings - Part 2

[Understandings and Endings – Part 2]

"I don't know what you guys learnt at the Imperial Academy, but I'm very sure that running away with the young master of your household was not a chapter to be studied there." Keyron announced in his grave Head Butler voice, a deep frown drawn on his face as he stared down at the guilty boys –young men in their own rights –sitting on the couch in front of him.

The stern lecture session was very quickly ruined when his wife stepped up beside him, cups of warm tea in her hands. It was clear in the Reyes household that despite all the power Keyron held as the Head Butler, Kiera was still the most authoritative figure as she nudged him aside, placing the cups on the low table in front of the couch with a gentle smile only relieved mothers could make.

"Drink the tea while it's hot. It must have been a hard week for you boys."

"We're fine, Mum." Kylar did his best to smile back, but everyone could see how much his bandaged hand was trembling when they reached for the tea. As if embarrassed by the fact of his trembling hands, the young man retracted his hand immediately, folding his arms hurriedly.

"Don't do that!" Kiera's order was gentle yet authoritative at the same time, surprising the Reyes men. "Don't ever be embarrassed at what you suffered in order to protect your young master. The doctors said it was temporary, but even if it were to be a permanent thing, Kylar, we will never abandon you. You will not be less of a butler with shaking hands."

"But, I won't be able to serve Kyren well in the future... You heard what the doctors said; I'm going to have recurrent pain in my arms and I am not going to be able to control them once they start trembling." At his mother's order, Kylar had his hands uncrossed and laid limply on his lap, still trembling. "Dad, maybe you should assign Kyvan to serve Kyren personally from now onwards."

"No!" The protest came loudest from the younger brother, and all members of the Reyes family turned to find that Kyvan's eyes were already brimming with tears. Kyvan might have made it through all sorts of difficult training alongside Kylar –might have gotten the golden coat of arms similar to his brother's -but it was during times like these that Keyron and Kiera were forced to admit that Kyvan had not matured in the same way Kylar had.

Still, it was a childishness that Keyron was secretly glad to see –the fact that Kyvan reminded him of his younger self.

"Kyvan, you need to think about it. If-" Kylar's attempt at a calm, rationalization exercise was ruined when Kyvan put his hands over his ears desperately.

"I'm not listening! If you're not serving Kyren beside me, then I won't serve anyone! I don't care; I'm not listening!" Kyvan shouted, the tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Kyvan, you have to listen-"

"Enough." Keyron stepped in, disbelieving of how spectacularly he had lost all semblance of authority within his own family. He had been trying to start a lecture session with his sons on how they had allowed –and even supported -their young master to roam out in the open dangerously, but somehow they had completely ignored that.

"Nobody is making any decisions to remove anybody from anybody's side. We all got our injuries and scars from this incident, but nobody is dead or gone. Nothing is going to change just because your hand trembles a little." Keyron announced strongly, crossing his arms to show that he meant business this time.

"But, Dad-"

"But nothing." Keyron interrupted before Kylar could continue more. "Your mum made tea for the both of you, so stop acting like kids and drink up. Kiera has been super worried about the two of you this whole time, so accept her love."