Prologue

Warning: The following chapter contains mention of gore and death.

There is one important rule in the current world we live: Lock your home after the sunset. Why? Because demons are roaming outside. Filled with hunger, they eat everything in their path: fairies, mermaids, centaurs, and of course, their favourite meal: humans. If one of them catches their eye on you, run. What happens if you don't? Simple: you turn into demon dinner.

It's not too hard to differentiate a demon from a human — sure, they disguise themselves, and some of them do it pretty well, but if you get a closer look, you'll see the different appearance: their irises are unnatural, they have symbols in them, marking their type of demon and hierarchy — that changes depending on where the demon is from. Pale skin, sharp teeth and nails that can turn into claws. The smell of the human blood is their disguises' biggest weakness, they immediately transform back into their demon form and attack if exposed to the smell for too long.

Demons can't be killed with a simple knife or a shot in their head, there's a special method needed to kill them. You could try to survive until the sunrise — since being exposed to the sun kills them — but it's very hard to survive until dawn before the demon eats you alive, ripping apart your bones and the pieces of your body while you scream in pain, unable to escape. Luckily, there is a group of humans in every side of the world with the ability of killing those demons, the international Demon Slayer Corporation. They found rare mountains with materials that absorb the sunlight — since those mountains are bathed by the sun throughout the year — and with those materials, they made weapons capable of slaying those demons, giving a small hope to humanity.

That was before the demons started giving birth. Humans were turned into demons, but now, they are born demons. They're stronger, and the swords of sunlight would need to be much stronger to kill them. There are cases where the swords would end up breaking if you try to behead one of the demon-borns. From the moment the demon-borns existed, humanity's hope started decreasing. The extinction of the humankind was predicted, they would be extinct before 2015.

With the development of demons, there was also the development of science. Scientists discovered that some plants could get the demons killed if consumed or injected by them, if just close or exposed to those plants, their power would be blocked, giving the change for the slayer to destroy them right where they stand — if their neck can be easily cut, of course.

In 1992, a young man had joined the Demon Slayer corps. His ability with science and swordfighting helped him learn more and more about the demons, but one question popped on his mind: Is there a way to unturn the demons? Is there a way to end their desire for human flesh? What if they could substitute human flesh for something different? Like cows, pigs, maybe some plants that didn't kill them?

His questions couldn't have an answer if all the demons were to be slayed or if he was to be killed. So he created chains, weapons and items to capture demons without killing them, using both sunlight material and the plants of his hometown. Some of his superiors knew about his plans and warned him to not even try, it was pointless, demons are being born like this. But what if they were wrong? Demons had someone to teach them that meat was the only way, right? What if he could undo that? To his luck, some friends and companions had a belief on his idea, and together, decided to help him try to learn more.

But it was a hard task. Demons don't collaborate — as expected, of course — and catching them for experiments was the hardest of all. He didn't want to hurt them — not in a torturing way, at least, just collect a blood sample, or two, or maybe more — but they didn't seem to care. Adults have a strong and stubborn mind, that's true, but that didn't stop him.

It's 2012 now, the slayer had reached the highest level a demon slayer could get: a pillar. He heard rumours of a town in another country in Asia with demons of younger ages. He decided that maybe, a younger age would be easier to catch — and maybe, even convince of changing their habits and giving a chance to something new. Children have easier minds, right? They're not as stubborn as the adults. Part of him was curious — even if he knew they existed, he never saw a demon child before. All of the ones he's faced and killed — because he had no choice, besides the fact that it's his job — were above the age of thirty, even being more than a hundred and fifty years old.

Together with his friends that believed in him, the pillar travelled to the town of Gravity Falls, located in the Shikoku Region of Japan, which currently had no demon slayers to protect — that was bad for the humans and mystical creatures that lived there, of course, but somewhat good for the slayer, since he didn't want anyone trying to stop him. He was determined, he'd change his kind's fate. He'd make the demons friendly, and even maybe — if he managed to get them to stop eating flesh — he'd help them get out in the sun too.

I, the narrator, now present to you, the protagonist of this story:

The Sun Pillar, Bill Cipher.

Prologue written by: ThatShyStardust

Cover art made by: fallingunDawn (using art from Demon Slayer anime and additional drawings)