DD: Part Six

September 26, 1988

It's lonely to be an orphan when it's Family Day.

Seven-year-old Bill Cipher knew that very well. But sometimes he misunderstood his loneliness with boredom. The kids on the orphanage he lived in were very quiet and reserved, all too polite and scared of getting in trouble. Bill hated living in that orphanage, the adults always beat up the ones that went outside to have fun on the playground, or the ones that wanted to pet a dog from the streets, it was unfair. Bill didn't care, he'd break the rules whenever he wanted as long as he would have fun - that was the main reason his arms were always covered with red marks of beating. He often stayed alone in his dorm, because the children didn't want to end up being dragged to trouble by him, so they avoided going to his room and no one wanted to share it with him.

But today would be different. An orphanage was attacked by demons and the owner of his offered herself to let the little survivors stay there. One of them was described as a brave troublemaker, and thanks to that, she would be put in Bill's room. In case they didn't get along, she'd be moved to another room, but Bill didn't want to think about that, he was excited to have a roommate after five years alone in his little bedroom.

Bill jumped in circles on his bed, excitedly waiting for his so-called new roommate to arrive. The door opened and he stopped jumping. A lady stood with a little girl next to her. "This is your new room," she said. She glanced at Bill, then at the girl. "He's a troublemaker, don't follow his example, Lilith."

She left. Lilith was her name? That was a pretty name. The girl walked inside and closed the door behind her. She looked at Bill. "Hi, what's your name?"

Bill raised his arm as high as he could and waved. "Hi!" he exclaimed. "I'm Bill! Bill Cipher! What's your name? How old are you?"

"I'm Lilith, but I don't have a surname." she said. "How did you get yours?"

Bill shrugged. "I read the word on a book and thought it was cool," he jumped and fell with his back on the bed. "Cipher is like a code, and some kids call me an enigma." he giggled.

Lilith smiled. "Oh, cool." she said. "So, my bed is that one, right?" she pointed to a bed on the other side of the room.

"Yep!" Bill said. "How old are you, Lilith?" he asked as she walked to her bed with her backpack and two bags on her hands.

"I'm 7, but I'll turn 8 by the end of the year." Lilith replied as she put down her bags.

"What a coincidence, me too!" Bill said.

Lilith put her backpack on her bed and sat down. Bill approached the edge of the bed and stood upside down with his legs on the bed and his head and torso getting out of the bed, he crossed his arms behind his head and Lilith watched him curiously. "What are you doing?"

Bill's smile grew. "What I want," he said. "I want to stay upside down in my bed, and you? What do you want?"

Lilith thought for a few seconds. She replied with: "I want to do a flip!" she jumped on her bed and did a flip.

Bill's eyes went wide. He grinned. "Woah!" he turned, not being upside down anymore. "That was so cool!"

Lilith giggled. "Thanks."

"Hey, I don't have friends," Bill said. "Do you want to be my first?"

Lilith smiled. "Sure!" she said. "I saw a playground near here, can we go there?"

"By the rules, no," Bill said. "But those rules are demon poop."

Lilith tilted her head. "Why?"

"Because they're unfair!" Bill pouted and put his elbows on the bed and rested his head on them. "They don't let us have candy, they don't let us have a pet, they don't let us go to the playground - I know they are concerned for us because of the demon, but it's daylight! If we come back before the sunset, everything's okay, right?"