Chapter 7: Let Me Love You

The night was dark, but it was still young, and I was officially running late to my date with Rafael. We had been going steady for 5 months about a year of being "just friends" and I was happy. Need I ask for more? 

New York was still alive when I rushed out of Royal Financing's building to catch my driver. I had barely managed to change into a sequined tailored suit, and I felt like the Bomb.com. Seriously. If I didn't have to wear a huge coat because of the obnoxious weather, I would have felt even better. I had my sunglasses on, and a scarf wrapped around my head so that no one would take notice of me. I had just managed to shake the latest bunch of stalkers last week and I didn't want any new ones.

"Good evening, Luigi," I said cordially to my reliable driver.

The older gentleman tipped his head and glanced at me through the rear-view mirror as I settled in and took a sip of water from the mini fridge in the back of my private vehicle. "Ma'am. How was your day," He responded thoughtfully as he pulled out into traffic. I sighed. He reminded me of Winston sometimes. 

I proceeded to fill him on the details of my day, not disclosing the notable exception that the company's CEO that I had just signed a contract with did not show up for our meeting. When we were 5 minutes away from the restaurant, a underground haunt of mine where no one would recognize me as the Princess of Monaco, I felt my phone vibrate and looked down to see a text from Rafael. "Will you be here soon? I ordered your favorite red and some spinach-artichoke dip." I smiled in contentment. He knew me well. I replied back eagerly that yes, I would be there soon, as Luigi pulled up to the curb.

"Do you want me to wait, Ma'am?"

"No, thank you, Rafael will drive me home," I answered with a smile as I fixed my hair. 'Enjoy your evening off." 

Luigi nodded his thanks as I opened the car door and slipped through a crowd of pedestrians waiting for a walk-in spot. Rafael had made a reservation, of course. 

The bar above ground was more popular than the exclusive restaurant underground, but the food was better, and also a lot pricier. But today was a special occasion, I reminded myself, and made my way through doorways strung with glittering beads and downstairs into the VIP area. The manager welcomed me profusely, took my coat, and then led me to the corner booth Rafael had secured. The red and black velvet of the place gave it an austere feeling and I enjoyed feeling like I was home. Soft strings played from speakers and candles on the tables sparkled. 

Rafael stood up when he saw me and hurried to pull out my chair like a gentleman. I smiled in appreciation, as he stole a quick kiss from my cheek. "Mi amore," he whispered, "How was your day?" 

He sat back down across from me and poured me a glass of my favorite red wine as I studied him. He looked more tired than the last time I had seen him, and there were more creases around his eyes. As a partner at a high-paying law firm in NYC, he worked long hours under much duress, but always made time for me, something I was unaccustomed to. A native of Itaty, his tan skin and sun-kissed hair were beginning to wan and darken in NYC. 

"Busy," I replied taking a sip of win and grabbing a tortilla chip. "We just signed a new contract with a company, so HR is going to be having a lot of paperwork soon." And I would be having a lot of work to do supervising it. "How was your day? Any interesting cases?"

Refael smiled in response, knowing my interest in law and justice because one day I would be ruling a country and dishing out judgements. Out of all the people I had entrusted my secret to, he was the one who knew the most.

"I received a new case to work on today, so I'll be heading back over to the office after dinner to do some more research." I glared at him and he chuckled.

"D you remember when we talked about self-care? You come first before your job." I signed and rubbed my forehead. 

Rafael learned forward to wink at me. That, combined with his delicious accent, made me swoon. "I appreciate you caring, but you know how my job is. By the way, have I told you how amazing you look tonight?" Ha, ha, nice try.

"This conversation isn't over," I retorted, grabbing a menu. "Now, what should I get?"

By the time I had finished the appetizer, salad, and half of my salmon, I knew I would be getting a to-go box. No use wasting food when I could have lunch tomorrow. I glanced at my bloating stomach wondering if I should choose between a late-night boxing session to balance dessert out.

"That reminds me," I said, after the waiter took my food off to put it in a to-go box, I have something to ask you. "I have a favor to ask you."

Rafael nodded to me in acquiescence. "Go ahead, ask away."

I signed, trying to decide how to delicately approach this subject. While Refael knew about my family and our situation, my family didn't know about him. I know, I know, I just hadn't found a time to broach it with them yet.

"As you know," I began, folding my hands on the table, "My 24th birthday's coming up and I'll be going home to Monca. I was wondering, if you'd want to come with me and be my date for the party?" I blinked innocently at him, wondering if I would have to persuade him to take time off to come with me. 

Rafael thought for a minute, and pulled out his phone to check his calendar, probably trying to move some client meetings in his mind. "Yes, I believe I can make that work. It's in a week, right?" Yes! Inwardly, I cheered, outwardly, I smiled.

At around 11 p.m., Refael dropped me off at my penthouse apartment and walked me to the front door to say goodnight. I wished him luck and we parted ways. 

I made my way to the elevator, reaching out to press the button for the top floor, and decided that I would just be washing up and going to sleep. Tomorrow was a Friday, and my schedule was usually more open, so I could lock sometime out in the morning for an exercise session. 

I yawned as the elevator doors opened and I walked out, keys already in hand. I turned the hallway corner and-

Wait. Was that-

I looked again, in disbelief. Yes, it was. Taaron Fortune was lying in front of my apartment door.

What the-

-----------------

LMLY by Jackson Wang