Chapter 3: The Debutante Ball

My breath caught in my throat and my heart stopped in my chest. I was terribly nervous, bored, and enthused at the same time. With a tight smile on my face, we descended the stairs and parted the crowds of nobles as Moses parted the sea.

Okay, that was overrated. We simply walked down there, nodded at a few people. I winked at Vanessa again, but someone else caught my eye and winking at him was probably the wrong idea. Eh, I would deal with him later. 

Father and I stopped in the middle of the Ballroom floor; he would lead me in the first dance. The music struck up, and I curtsied fluidly. The first steps were simple, just a few twirls of my dress, and switching places. The next were more complicated, elaborate movements that would have had me falling all over the place if I hadn't been taking dance lessons for 10 long, long, years. 

Once the dance had ended, I curtsied again and parted from my father as more couples took their place on the dance floor, and walked over to where Vanessa was standing by the wall.

I raised an eyebrow. "No one wanted to sweep you off your feet and carry you away to dance till your feet dropped off?" My voice couldn't have been more sarcastic if I'd tried, but Vanessa just rolled her eyes.

"I might be eyeing a few people," she leaned in confidentially, one hand splayed over her heart, "But no one's eyeing me."

"I wouldn't count on it," I looked at her and then looked over my shoulder. Sure enough, Winky Guy was staring straight at us. "That guy looks like he wants to come over here. Or maybe I should go get him?"

Vanessa gasped, "You wouldn't dare!" We both giggled maddingly.

"Excuse me, Ladies," a smooth voice said over my shoulder. Vanessa and I quickly schooled our faces and turned to face not Winky Guy, but someone else.

This guy looked like a 20 year old Greek god. Tan skin, black hair, Grecian facial features. I have to admit, he was the complete package, and yet, not my type. But by the look on Vanessa's face, definitely her type. 

I had to say something, it was evident Vanessa wasn't going to. "Good evening," I raised an eyebrow questionably. "And you are?'

"Ah yes, " The young man recovered from staring at Vanessa, "My name is Prince Adrian Miles Pavlos of Greece." Hmm, Greece, I felt Vanessa nudge me discreetly. 

"I am Crown Princess Amelia Monique Laniste of Monaco," I smiled, feeling extra, "But you already knew that, of course." Prince Adrian nodded knowingly.

"May I just say, Your Highness, your beauty is even more devastating in person than in photographs." Ok, definitely a smooth talker. Vanessa nudged me again, and I jabbed my elbow back, a tight smile on my face. "And your friend here," He said in an even smoother voice, gesturing toward Vanessa, who immediately went paler than her dress than spoke. 

"Vanessa Crovetto, Princess Amelia's friend."

"Best friend," I added. Vanessa smiled at me and Prince Adrian smiled even wider. I was at peace knowing he wasn't disturbed with Vanessa's commoner status.

"May I have this dance?" Prince Adrian said. I almost said of course, but then I realized he was looking at Vanessa. Looking back at Vanessa I wiggled my eyebrows and smirked. "She would love to," Answering for a speechless Vanessa. "Have fun you too." I smiled as they headed out to the dance floor, feeling more like a mother than a princess at the moment. 

I moved toward the refreshment table but was continuously stopped to not only dance with eligible bachelors but even worse, converse with them. Would the tortures never end?

For instance, take Jack Davis. Not a Prince, but a trying-to-look-like-i'm-25-but-honestly-20 Billionaire. And Horrendous. Complete A-hole. It literally took me 10 minutes to make him feel that his boasting was completely useless.