Chapter 12: Reunion Time

*Picture of Amelia's dress above! 

I let a slow breath hiss in and out of my mouth as I faced my reflection in the mirror. How had the years passed so quickly? Vanessa was finishing tying the laces on my beautiful gown and soon I would be making the grand entrance at my own birthday party. 

I shivered at the thought of sitting on the throne. It was the first time I would be allowed to and I could already feel the veil of responsibility, and more at that, descending upon me.

Vanessa glanced up from her work of art and glanced at me in concern. Her light blue dress did not do her justice either. "Are you alright?" I nodded, pasting a practiced smile on my face.

"Yes, of course, I'm just distracted, you know..." Vanessa's eyes widened as she came upon a possible solution.

"About Taaron?" I scowled and the reflection in the mirror looked royally pissed, I had forgotten about him. Not that I had anything to prove to him either. 

I turned back to face the mirror. I had missed the memo from Renee that he had been invited. Just my luck. Better to re-direct and face the music later. "Adrian will be there too."

Vanessa's face lightened and I winced, maybe that wasn't the best redirect, seeing as she still had feelings for him. "Yes, I'm so excited! There, all finished." 

Vanessa's impeccable timing saved me from coming up with an excuse about Taaron and I twirled in front of the mirror, admiring the gold accents twinkling in the light. My hair was down in waves, an unusual respite from my typical office up-do. My skin was also back to its normal healthy tan, a gift from the Moroccan sun.

"I'll see you out there," I turned to face Vanessa as she grabbed my hands and squeezed them, memorizing the excitement on her face and attempting to mirror it, "You got this." 

"Thank you," I whispered, squeezing her hands back before watching her leave. I sighed as I slipped on my high heels, grimacing as they dug into my heels. Somethings never changed.

I was putting my gold earrings in when I heard a knock on the door. "Can I come in, mi amore?" A stab of guild pierced me before I responded.

"Yes, I'm almost ready." Rafael let himself in and I turned around to face him. "Sorry to keep you waiting." 

Rafael gave me that smile I loved and a soft kiss on my hand. "I would wait for you forever if you would still love me." My smile froze, remembering the kiss between Taaron and myself. I hadn't told Rafael and I felt like I was burying myself alive between the lies.

I tried not to think about and instead focused on the dashing man before me. Another timely knock on the door startled me out of my thoughts. It was go-time.

Rafael escorted me down the gilded hallway filled with red brocade and glittering chandeliers. Queens and Kings looked back at me with stern approval, and I felt comfort knowing that one day, my portrait would be worthy to hang their as well. 

I dragged my dress along with me to a stop in front of the grand doors to the ballroom. By now all the expected guests should have arrived, including my nemesis. Rafael glanced down at me with concern and held out his arm. I returned his gesture with a smile and took a deep breath. I just had to make it down these stairs and to the throne. To keep myself in check, I played one of my favorite songs in my head. I would prove to everyone that I deserved what was given to me and more. 

The doors opened and the chatter from the crowds died away. My breath caught. How was it possible that there were more people here than when I had my debutante ball?