Chapter 2: On The Precipice

Finally, the day I had dreaded for forever, and that Mother had been waiting for, forever, was here. The Debutante ball; which didn't make much sense because I...was......the....only.....debutant. Whatever. 

I couldn't well curse at the table, so I did it under my breath, "Schizer!" 

Mother didn't catch it, but Father did. At his look, I widened my eyes and prayed he wouldn't say anything of it. It was clear who "wore the pants" in the relationship. But Father only slightly smiled. Whhoo. 

I groaned and slumped on the table, something Mother considered very unladylike, but I could care less at this point. There was only one thing on my mind: The Debutante Ball.

Its only purpose was to "Welcome me into Society." We would see how well this went. I couldn't very well storm out of the dining room when the palace servants, stationed around the dining room, would see. 

"I have your dress," Mother continued, smiling, while Father just sat there and ate his breakfast calmly. It was evident I wouldn't get any help from him.

"And I don't want to wear it," I whispered into the table. I looked up: "Is it green at least? And not like.....fuchsia?"

Mother frowned, "What's wrong with fuchsia?" Father choked: "Everything's wrong with fuchsia, dear."

"Thank you! Finally, someone, who understands!" I said, rising from my chair. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go find Vanessa to um," a quick glance at Mother, "Um, talk about the dance," I finished mumbling. 

I quickly turned and ran, I mean jogged, out of the dining room, nodding at Winston as I went.

Once I turned the hallway, I was alone, finally. The long hallways twisted and twisted but most had a dead end. I knew of a few that opened out into the Rose Garden Terrace.       

After a few more minutes of suffocating gold and white, I turned a corner, took a right, and opened a door. The sun was blinding but I could at least smell the sea air. I breathed in, 7  seconds, let it out, 8 seconds. "I'm free!" I shouted into the wind. 

Okay, so let's get something straight: Yes, I was privileged, but I was also suffocated. By my parents, by the media, by the WORLD. Being a Princess isn't all its made out to be. 

I was expected to find a husband at the ball and settle down and have his kids. HA! That wasn't happening. I was expected to stay in Monaco until my parents died (God forbid) and that wasn't happening either. 

I sat down on the cool grey stone and leaned my back against the wall on the terrace. The rose gardens stretched out in front of me, illuminated by the sun. I sent a quick text for Vanessa to come find me. She would know where to look.

Vanessa and I had always been best friends from, well, the time we were born. Cliche, but it was true. If I fell, Vanessa fell with me, probably because she pushed me and then I had dragged her down with me. We had celebrated out 10th, 13th, 16th, and 18th birthdays together (even though they weren't on the same day - Mine was August 16th, which was today, and Vanessa's was Agust 21st), and hopefully, someday, we would celebrate our 21st. 

After a few more minutes of relatively peaceful silence, the door to the terrace banged open, and Vanessa bounced through. She was my total polar opposite. While I tended to be more cool, calm, and collected (though trust me, I had my wild moments) Vanessa was an insane, but sweet, ball of energy. 

She was about my same height, 5'6, but the similarities ended there. She had long, straight, platinum blonde hair, light grey eyes, and an enormous smile. 

"Hi, Mila, what's up?" She gave me a smile, and I sighed.

"The ball, duh." I groaned and sank my head in my hands, hiding my frustration.

"But I'm soooo excited! Just imagine," She nudged her elbow into my side and I yelped, "It's dark in the ballroom, then suddenly, spotlight on you, the crowd goes wild, you, of course, glance demurely to your side and see your one true-OUCH!"

I pinched her side, "Stop right there! True love is overrated and you know it. If I marry, I'll have to marry for money." Romantic dreams were pathetic.

After trying to keep up the charade, Vanessa could sense it was an "Off" day for me, as all best friends can, and stopped talking about it. Instead, I asked her about her dress, and she eagerly chatted with me for the better part of the morning, before we both went to our final dress fitting.

The rest of the day absolutely flew by, which was horrible for me, but great for everyone else on the freaking planet. I was shut in my room so that the guests couldn't see me when they arrived, for they arrived in droves. While Vanessa went off to get ready, I did the same, only needing minimal assistance with my gown.

I have to admit, it was truly a wonder. It was a floor length ball gown, deep emerald, with off-the shoulder-beaded flutter-sleeves and a fitted emerald beaded bodice. I don't know how much money Mother spent on it but it must have been a lot! I wore an onyx black necklace and earrings as well as my Crown Princess state-ring. I topped off my ensemble with black high heels and my silver state-tiara. 

I kept my makeup minimal but added some flair with a dark red lip and winged eye-liner. I, yes, I, curled my hair and then pinned some back to make sure the tiara would stay on.

And then I was ready.

I opened my door to find Vanessa there, looking stunning as always in a cold ice blue gown with silver sparkles. "Beautiful, as always, Vanessa!" I told her with a smile.

"OMG, seriously Mila!?" She gaped at my dress, "You were complaining about this?"

"Yeah," I shrugged. I really didn't want to do this. 

"Shut up," Vanessa said in good humor, and I laughed. We linked arm in arm and headed down the corridor.

Once we turned into the main hallway, a cheer arose from the servants gathered to wish us good luck. I would certainly need it tonight. I thanked everyone graciously as I made it down the line.

Mother was sobbing at the end into her white handkerchief while Father cleared his throat briskly. I grimaced but kept a positive attitude for mother's sake. 

"You look beautiful, Amelia, " She said crushing me to her chest of sparkling purple, and what did I tell you, fuchsia beads.

"Thanks, you too," I whispered back. "I'll see you inside." Mother nodded and turned to leave.

I winked at Vanessa and she did the same back to me, before leaving for the Ballroom. Then I turned to Father.

"Well, it's go-time," I said in a reasonable voice, looking anywhere but at him. Father nodded, a man of very few words, and gave me his arm. 

We stepped into position. Winston opened the doors: "Announcing His Royal Majesty, King Philippe the 2nd of Monaco, and Her Royal Highness, Crown Princess Amelia Monique Laniste of Monaco!"

We stepped through the doorway and were at the top of the grand staircase. My breath caught - I contemplated turning and running - and I only saw flashes of red and gold. And people. So many people. 

I smiled and stood up straighter; I was on the precipice.   

_______

The Nights by Avicii