Surrender 2

Nicholas

I park my motorcycle in the driveway outside Uncle Thomas' house, walk to the front door, and ring the doorbell.

Aunt Mary-Ann opens the door. "Nick," you're here, she says, greeting me with a kiss on the left cheek. "I'm so glad you've decided to join us."

I hand her a bottle of red wine.

"Thank you. You didn't have to bring anything," she says, taking the bottle from my hand.

"I know but I wanted to."

"We're dining on the patio," she says, leading the way. "Noah's already here."

I follow her into the house then through the backdoor and onto the patio, where Uncle Thomas and Noah are already sitting at the table which is already set up for dinner.

"Did you get a new set of chairs?" I ask, looking at the dining area.

"Yes, do you like it?"

"I do. This one looks much more...cozy."

"That's exactly what I thought when I first saw it," she smiles.

"Nick," Noah says, spotting me almost immediately. "You made it."

"Come sit son," Uncle Thomas says, happy to see me. He points to the chair across the table from Noah's. I walk over and take a seat.

"It's good to have you here son," Uncle Thomas continues. "I was just telling Noah the story about how your father and I started the company."

"That one never gets old," I chuckle.

My father and Uncle Thomas always told Noah and me this story at family dinners when we were kids. After they told the story they would remind us that we were expected to work at the company and continue the family's legacy once we were old enough.

"It never does." Aunt Mary-Ann smiles, setting the bottle of wine in the center of the table, and taking a seat on the chair at the lower end of the table.

"So where's Laura?" I ask, looking at Noah.

"She's running a bit late. Probably had to help Cassandra with something," he says, shrugging his shoulders. "You know how close they are..."

Hearing Noah say her name makes me look out towards the sunset and something tells me that I should have gone to see her today. Maybe it isn't enough to just look at her but I love looking at her and right now I miss that.

"Nick..." Aunt Mary-Anne says, looking at me. "I need to apologize for inviting Naomi to dinner that night. I didn't realize that you two had broken up and that you were seeing Cassandra."

"It's fine Aunt Mary-Anne. Don't blame yourself for that."

"Why didn't you invite Cassandra here for dinner with us?"

"Mom," Noah intervenes. "Cassandra and Nick aren't exactly together.

"They're not?" Aunt Mary-Ann says in disbelief as she shifts her gaze to Noah, then back to me.

"No, we're not," I confirm.

"I'm confused... If the both of you are not a couple, how do you explain what happened at the hotel?"

"It's complicated Mom," Noah says.

"How complicated can it be? I saw the way you two looked at each other and the way she reacted when Naomi touched your hand."

"So did I." Uncle Thomas adds. "It's obvious that the two of you have feelings for each other."

I smile. "Are our feelings that obvious?"

"They are!" Aunt Mary-Ann says. "Are you pursuing her?"

"I am, but she isn't making it easy."

"Winning the heart of the woman you love isn't always an easy task, son." Uncle Thomas says, looking at Aunt Mary-Ann. "I had a hard enough time winning my wife's heart and so did your father winning your mother's. Sometimes it's hard but it's always worth it."

I nod my head in response.

"People who look at each other the way that you and Cassandra look at each other should be together." Aunt Mary-Ann says.

"Agreed," Noah says.

"Let's have some wine while we wait for Laura to get here." Uncle Thomas says, opening the bottle of red wine and pouring everyone a glass.

"Are you all starting without me?" Laura says, walking out towards the patio.

"Never," Noah says, getting up and pulling out the chair next to him.

She walks over and her eyes fall into mine. "Nick?" she says with surprise, halting her steps. "What are you doing here?"

"Umm, what?" I say, looking back and forth between her and Noah in confusion.

"You need to go," she says.

"Go?" I ask, becoming even more confused.

She nods her head in response.

"Where are you sending him?" Uncle Thomas asks, looking at Laura.

Laura looks at him, then back at me. "She's waiting for you."

"What?" I ask, thinking that what my ears heard was wrong.

"Sunset...She's waiting for you," she says, slower this time.

I jump on my feet looking at her eagerly, hoping that she's saying what I think she's saying. She nods her head slowly.

"But...I haven't heard from her all day," I say in confusion.

"My sister never wears a pretty dress unless I tell her to but she's wearing one right now because of you. When's the last time you've checked your phone?"

"I haven't all day. I was too busy with work. I didn't get a chance to," I explain.

"Check your phone," Laura says a bit impatiently.

I pull my phone out from my left pant pocket and read Cassandra's message through the locked screen.

*Meet me at sunset*

I can't believe my eyes but there it is on the screen; a text from her telling me to meet her at sunset. I look back at Laura then at Noah, then back at Laura again.

"I should go!"

"You should go," Laura smiles. "You'll get to her faster if you go to our house. There is a set of steps in the backyard that leads to the beach," she explains. "I will text you the address."

"Can we celebrate some other time?" I say, looking back and forth between Aunt Mary-Anne and Uncle Thomas.

"You love her don't you?" Aunt Mary-Ann smiles.

I nod my head in response. "I do!"

"Then go to her."

"Go get your girl son." Uncle Thomas smiles.

I run back into the house and then out through the front door.

"Go get her Nick!" I hear Noah say as I make my exit.

I hop on my bike quickly and glance at my watch. The sun sets in forty-five minutes. It takes thirty minutes to get to Santa Monica but I can get there in fifteen if I ride fast enough. I would hate to miss the opportunity to meet her now at her request.