Unfulfilled

Jonathan

I walked out of my father's office and scanned the gallery as I said goodnight to the buyers, but there was no sign of Margaret or anyone else.

"I'll see the buyers out." My father said and walked them out of the gallery.

Marcus entered the gallery and came walking toward me. "Are you done, Mate?" he asked.

"Did Margaret just leave?" I asked, hoping she was still outside somewhere.

"She did. I just came from walking her and Jasmine to her car," Marcus explained. "She wanted to wait but you took too long, mate."

I nodded my head, disappointedly.

"So did you finally kiss her?" Marcus asked. "The two of you were in your father's office for at least five minutes. Please tell me you kissed her."

"I didn't. I was about to tell her I love her before you interrupted us."

"Wow... I had no idea you wanted to do that tonight."

"I did. It's why I bought her the bracelet."

"I see... so, how'd it go with the buyers?"

"Well, they bought everything."

"What about the painting of... I mean, The Pearl of the Sunrise?"

"I'm not ready to part with it," I explained.

Marcus laughed. "I knew this was coming. It is the first portrait you've painted of the woman you love. I expect it to be hard to part with."

"It is," I looked at it as it still hung on the wall in the back. "I promised the buyers to paint each of them one like it, but I'm keeping the original for myself."

"As you should mate," Marcus tapped me on the back. "As you should."

"So, what do you think about Margaret?" I asked.

"Admittedly, you were right...She's not like the other women. She only has eyes for you."

"I told you she'd pass the 'Marcus test.'" I grinned

"You were right," Marcus said, raising his hands up to his shoulders. "So... Jasmine...do you think I could win her over?'

"Win her over?" I laughed. "The woman hates you."

"I know, but I think I like her because of it."

"You like her because she hates you?' I looked at him confused.

"I don't understand it, mate. She's been aggressive toward me, the whole night but all that's done is made me want her."

"Ahh, I see...You like her because she didn't throw herself at you like other women."

"Yes, I think that's why I like her."

I had never heard Marcus speak about liking a woman before. All he's ever been interested in is sleeping with women.

"Are you sure you like her, or does this have something to do with your ego?"

"It's not about my ego, I promise. Other women, they...they never gave me a reason to fight for anything. I never had an opportunity to experience...um...how do you say it...the thrill of the chase. With Jasmine, I can experience that and...maybe I could... you know... get her to fall for me."

"Wait...What? You want her to fall for you?"

"Yes,"

"Have you fallen for her?"

"I...I don't know, mate. I've only known her for a few hours. It's hard to say."

"Jasmine isn't stupid. You heard what she said, she can tell a lot about a person's character after knowing them for three seconds."