Forbidden

Margaret

I continued to read the story of unfulfilled love, and the more I read the more like a fairytale it seemed. These claims they made about love, did not happen in the real world. How could it be when it spoke of the one thing love could not conquer? Death.

In the annals of fate, soulmates doth encounter each other before their ethereal essence takes residence in mortal frames. 'Tis solely upon embodiment that souls awaken to their union, hence rendering it inscrutable before acquaintance. Verily, none can discern their true soulmate's visage before providence hath granted them communion.

In the year of our Lord 1625, I chanced upon the esteemed gentleman, Gregory Fife, and in that moment, our hearts became ensnared in the entwining tendrils of affection. The depths of our souls were stirred at the mere exchange of glances, kindling a love both impassioned and clandestine, for our union was not only thwarted by circumstance but also deemed illicit.

Gregory, a gentleman hailing from the British realm, arrived upon our distant shores aboard a grand vessel that traversed the mighty oceans. As a scholar of great erudition, he undertook the noble task of instructing my people in the intricacies of the English tongue, thus fostering a means of communication betwixt our disparate worlds.

Gregory was a gentleman of sterling character, whose virtues beckoned to the very depths of my soul in a manner that transcended mere linguistic expression. His benevolence and gentle spirit set him apart from the gentlemen of my acquaintance, as well as from his fellow countrymen who graced our distant shores.

From the instant my eyes beheld the azure depths of Gregory's gaze, a profound sense of kinship enveloped my being. 'Twas as though our souls had long been acquainted, woven together by the threads of destiny, spanning the expanse of time itself.

In the confines of my upbringing, the notion of love remained an elusive concept, veiled in the traditions that dictated paternal authority in matters of betrothal. The prospect of an arranged union loomed over me, a fate predetermined by the will of my father. Yet, the advent of Gregory heralded a transformative shift in my perception. Though I endeavoured to distance myself from him, cognizant of the turmoil such affections could incite, his steadfast pursuit shattered the confines of convention. His entreaty to court me puzzled my sensibilities, for such customs were foreign to my own. Unlike the men of my tribe, who sought not to woo with tokens of affection, Gregory bestowed upon me flowers, gifts, and verses of poetry, igniting within me a tumult of emotions previously unknown.

Our clandestine meetings demanded utmost discretion, for the union between Gregory and myself would be met with vehement disapproval from our respective communities. As the daughter of the chief, the burden of setting a virtuous example weighed heavily upon my shoulders. Under the veil of night, whilst the world slumbered, Gregory and I would steal away to the sanctuary of a Pinus Longaeva tree, nestled but a brief journey from my village and a distance from the encampment of the Englishmen. Each rendezvous brought forth a token of his affection, be it a delicate bloom or a humble offering from his distant land – peculiar fare, volumes of literature, or verses of poetry, crafted solely for my ears.

Numerous were the nights we shared in the tranquil embrace beneath the Pinus Longaeva's boughs. When inclement weather barred our clandestine trysts, my heart ached with a fervent longing for his comforting presence, as raindrops pattered upon the earth like silent witnesses to our forbidden desires.

Upon the passage of six moons, my father, the esteemed chief, imparted unto me the news of his decree – that a suitor had been chosen for me, and our union was to be solemnized within a single month. In the wake of this pronouncement, tears flowed freely from my eyes as I sought solace in Gregory's comforting embrace, beseeching him to whisk me away to England, where we could pledge our troth in matrimonial bonds. Alas, the complexities of circumstance thwarted our desires, for Gregory's vessel lay anchored for yet half a year, rendering escape nigh impossible. Despite the odds stacked against us, he vowed to defy the dictates of fate and champion our love with unwavering resolve. And as I clung to his promise, I too pledged to defy the path laid before me by paternal decree, even if it meant facing the ultimate sacrifice.