Proposal

Jonathan

"I'm so proud of you, Johnny!" my mother smiled as she touched my right cheek.

I was seated between her and Mr. Capland and my father beside her.

"Thank you," I said as she brought her hand down from my face.

"We both are!" My father said, holding my mother's hand next to his on the table as they exchanged glances.

"I'm sure you will make Maggie very happy," Mr Capland added, tapping me on the left shoulder.

"I'm doing my best to do that Sir," I said, looking at how happy Margaret was dancing with Jasmine.

"I will finally have a daughter and hopefully grandchildren soon," My mother said, following my gaze and looking at Margaret.

"Grandchildren sounds nice," My father smiled. "You will need someone to pass on your talent to."

I nodded as I continued looking at Margaret again. "And Margaret's beauty and her selflessness," I added.

Mr Capland placed his right hand on the shoulder. I looked at him and he nodded. "You're right," he said with tear-filled eyes. Margaret is very selfless. It's one of her best qualities. She tends to put the needs of others before hers. I'm very pleased that you've noticed that about her."

"It's hard not to notice the qualities of someone you love," I explained, looking at Margaret again.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" My mother asked softly as she touched my hand on the table. "Go propose to her."

I pushed my chair back and stood up. I looked at my parents and Mr Capland, gave them a slight nod and then left the table. I left the drawing room and headed upstairs quickly. I took a deep breath, entered my bedroom, and sat on the bed. I pulled out the nightstand drawer and took out the small black box containing the three rings. I opened the box and smiled as I stared at the rings. I took out the engagement ring, placed it carefully inside my jacket pocket and placed the box back inside the nightstand drawer.

"This is it," I said, standing in front of the mirror to straighten up my suit. I took a deep breath again and then left my bedroom.

My heart raced as I descended the stairs. I had rehearsed the speech I would give upon my proposing to her many times and now was the time to finally say it. I entered the drawing room and found her no longer dancing on the dance floor. I scanned the room to find her. She was sitting at the table I had reserved for her... for us.

"Perfect," I said softly as I walked toward her.

"Jonathan," she said, standing immediately as she saw me.

"Margaret," I smiled. "Did you get tired of dancing already?"

"I didn't," she said, sounding a bit disappointed.

"Is everything okay?" I asked with concern. I took her hands in mine to bring her some comfort. I hoped someone had not ruined her night. "Did you and Jasmine have a misunderstanding?"

She shook her head. "No, of course not," she assured me, looking down at our hands and then at me. "She simply told me that my suspicions were wrong."

"Your suspicions?" I asked, studying her face.

"It's nothing, for you to worry about," she said giving me a small smile. "It's probably too soon anyway."

"Too soon?" I studied her face again.

She gave me a small smile. "I'm fine."

"Are you certain? You seem a bit upset."

"I'm certain," she assured me giving my hands a light squeeze and kissing me on the right cheek.