CHAPTER ONE??!!??!!!?!??

"And that was Cow Sluts with 'Moo-ve It or Lose It'! Great play on words there, guys."

The small audience around you claps politely as the band leaves the stage. God, this is sad. There's barely ANYONE in the bar tonight. You remember when Battle of Bands was a huge deal, at least when Helen was alive. Helen used to own Demolition. It was a small bar, but one where people felt close to one another, especially if you were in the music scene. Helen also knew people, people with connections. Chances were if she liked you and your band, you already had it made. Helen left Demolition to her son after she died, and though he did his best, it was just never the same.

"Alrighty, next up is... Michael Romance!"

You watch as four young men make their way up the stage. One of the men, pale with long dark hair, begrudgingly takes the microphone from the host.

"Actually," he mutters annoyed. "It's MY CHEMICAL Romance." The host throws his hands up in apology.

The rest of the men take the stage. Two of the men, one short and one curly, take opposite sides of the stage, guitars in tow. Finally, the last man, skinny and just as pale as the rest, takes his place takes his place at the back of the stage, wielding a bass.

"Hey, guys! I'm Gerard, and-"

"WHERE'S THE DRUMMER?" Someone shouts from the tiny crowd.

"Oh, uh, well we kinda have a drummer shortage at the moment," The frontman (Gerard, apparently) responds. "Don't worry, we're just gonna use a backing track-"

"DAMN, YOU THINK WITH THAT MANY GUITARS YOU COULD FIND AT LEAST ONE GUY TO HIT SOMETHING WITH A STICK!" A few snickers come from around you. Gerard and his band frown.

"YEAH, WHAT ABOUT SKINNY?" A guy from the back of the bar shouts, pointing at the bassist. "WHATCHA DOING BACK THERE, BLONDY?!"

You watch as the bassist's face become flush with red as he shrinks behind Gerard in an attempt to hide. You can't help but feel pity for the poor guys. There wouldn't have been heckling like this when Helen was around, nobody would have dared.

"Hey!" You snap, whipping around. "Can you guys knock it off? I came to hear music, not some asshole drunk off his ass!"

"Yeah, hey guys, let's quiet down please!" The host shouts. "No more heckling for the rest of the night! Go ahead, fellas."

You turn back around only to see the bassist now gazing at you, his face filled with relief. The two of you manage to make eye contact; you smile and give him a small wave. He smiles back, lifting four fingers from the base of his guitar in acknowledgment, almost like a little wave of his own.

"Anyways... We're My Chemical Romance! I'm Gerard, to my right is Frank and to the left is our friend Ray, and finally this is-"

"OH, GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!"

Gerard sighs and motions to the band. The drumming track starts, followed by the two guitars, and finally the bass. Gerard leans into the mic, embracing the whine of the feedback, and begins the set.

"Late dawns and early sunsets, just like my favorite scenes..."