five

Finishing his dinner, Neteyam started to head back to his family's Marui. He hadn't been able to get the older Metkayinan girl off his mind since the sight at dinner.

The whole thing was so strange. From the things they heard before dinner, to then see her with painful wounds and obviously very upset, something was going on. It had really upset him.

It was a mix of everything really. The war, leaving their home, his father. Everything was just happening so quickly and changing constantly. The smallest things seem to upset him now, he just felt all these emotions all the time, all at once.

It also didn't help that their was no one he could express them too. Everyone was so busy with the war, his parents were stressed constantly he didn't want to add to that. His siblings would be to burdened with his issues and he was incredibly protective over them. Spilling out all his problems to them would help nothing. So everything was just held inside , all the time.

He needed to be alone, somewhere quiet where he could think. What better place for that than the ocean?

Walking behind Loak, he tapped him on the shoulder. "Tell mom and dad I'm going for a walk and I'll be back soon."

"What, bro what are you doing?" Loak asked, confused.

"Going for a walk?" Neteyam replied. "Just because you are always sneaking off and not doing what your supposed to be, doesn't mean I am." He smiled, mocking his brother.

"Yeah, yeah whatever." Loak dismissed him. Neteyam turned the opposite way and headed toward the beach.

The beach was pitch black, Neteyam wasn't sure where he was going, all he could feel was the sand beneath his feet. A little ahead of him he though he could make out the silhouette of a rock and started to walk towards it.

The rock was large, having makeshift stepping stone to the top which was flat. He climbed up the rock, however once he got to the top he noticed someone already there.

"Oh! I am sorry I did not know someone was here already!" He quickly said, obviously startled.

"It's alright Neteyam, you can stay I don't mind." The voice spoke softly.

"Kætalaya?" He asked, surprised the girl even remembered his name.

"Unfortunately so. I have been here awhile so if you'd like to be alone I can leave." She said, turning to face the boy even though he couldn't see.

"No, no that's not necessary. I don't mind your company either." He responded softly before laying down next to the girl. Heart rate increasing slightly at the proximity of their bodies.

It was silent for a moment, both teens enjoying the calming sound of the ocean waves and night sky.

"I'd like to thank you for earlier." Neteyam said, breaking the silence between the two.

"For what?" Kætalaya, trying to rack her brain for something she could've done that was worth thanking.

"For cheering up Tuk. She was been really down since our move, none of us have been able to cheer her up. But you, you did it so quickly today and it honestly was nice to see Tuk happy again. So I thank you for that." He told the girl.

"It was nothing, Tuk is a very bright girl, that was all her." She responded, not accepting the compliment.

Silence fell over them again. It may have been a little awkward but it was mostly peaceful. Both of them enjoying the quietness they usually didn't get these days.

"So, what bring you here Neteyam? I only ever come out here when I need a break from life." Kætalaya asked.

The boy sighed, "Well then I guess that's why I'm here, I needed to get away from everything for a moment."