Eight

Waleed

There'd been this time when I found myself falling apart at the seams, and I needed saving, someone to hold me back together.

Those days were when Eliza's company was all that kept me sane, and the only thing I ever looked forward to in my day.

And, though, I'd only been ten when we parted ways, I'd felt like I'd fallen deep into a black hole where nothing else was present because she wasn't present. I'd been floundering without her and I'd missed her, badly.

But years passed and everything changed, and the misery faded away until she wasn't anything but the memory of a good time. I'd also convinced myself that was what she would always stay.

Until my mother thought it was a good idea to bring her back, play cupid and get us married.

And now that I was so expertly failing at being a husband, or even a good human really, Eliza was there to witness it all. Maybe she would've been more disappointed if she remembered me. I wondered if it was me she hadn't recognized or if she'd forgotten all of those years we'd spent together.

But if everything stayed on track, I would never know. Digging up past secrets hadn't turned out to be good so far in my life.

"She's mad, isn't she?" I pursed my lips as I talked to Shifa, constantly looking over her shoulder to see if Eliza was coming out yet.

"I was, too. You didn't exactly do something that deserves a reward." She held up her hand when I opened my mouth to talk. "And, no, nothing excuses it. You don't get to say anything in your defense, Bhai. Now you better grovel good, I don't want Bhabhi upset. She's the better one between you two."

I crossed my arms, my eyes turning to slits. "So you suddenly like her more than your brother?"

She smirked smugly. "I always wished I had a sister anyway. I'm going to sit in the car now."

"Do face away!" I called after her and she stopped in her steps.

"Oh my God, what the hell are you going to do?"

"I mean you don't have to if you have a penchant for third wheeling..."

"Oh, nope. I go through that enough between Mom and Dad. Why am I stuck between married couples?" She groaned out as she swung open the door. I chuckled before making my way over to the door of the salon, and texted Eliza to come out if she was ready.

She walked out, her face passive nad her beige lehenga bunched up in her hands. Suddenly, I'd forgotten the whole apology speech I'd prepared for her as I took in the sight of her. She looked breathtakingly beautiful.

Her dress had a sweetheart neckline, the full sleeves sheer and filled with sequins and embroidery. The rest of it was just as heavily embellished as the bodice. The dupatta was designed similarly to the mesh sleeves, all of it flowing down her back till the floor after being pinned on the top of her head, her wavy hair cascading down her back under the veil behind her.

However, the compliment I was about to utter out died on my tongue as she stormed past me, headed in the direction of the car.

Right. Still mad.

I grabbed her elbow before she got too far, turned her around and tugged her toward myself until her hand landed on my shoulder with a surprised gasp

"I could've fallen!" She shrieked out though her voice was low.