Riptide

School is difficult enough as it is. Teachers that 'tolerate' you, students who don't care about what they say, the overbearing amount of homework due at the end of the week.

Wait a minute! It gets better! Home life! Yes the very house on the corner of the street, with the flowers outside and a sign in the living room; 'Home is where the heart is'

Yeah... home is where the drama is. Dad... really isn't around. Mom, she tries not to be. Usually i find myself walking around the house, trying to find something to do. I used to leave the house a lot but being a quirkless girl, bad idea. School is really the only place that's... mildly... safe.

Is 'mildly' a good enough word? Is 'safe'?

I can't remember how many times I'd come into class to see writing on my desk, spider lillies covering the desk, pins in my shoe locker, so many other things.

The worst bit was the bullying. The physical actions. Hair pulling, name calling, teasing, etc. There's one specific time that I stupidly hung out with someone who wanted to be my friend, but a quirk was used and I only remember waking up in a ditch in the middle of the night. Halfway home, an officer stopped, asking me if I had been using substances. I got out of that pretty easily though. No issue. For a while though, I was treating burns all the way up my arm. I'm alright though. I'll pull through.

*

I glared at my locker, sitting wide open, pins filling my shoes to the brim. A couple had even tumbled out of the locker when I had opened it. Two red flowers sat on top of them, neatly taunting me. I could hear snickering and laughing from other students as I reached into the locker to take everything out of the shoes. I pricked my finger and held it a bit, glaring at the floor, feeling that familiar feeling of tears beginning to fill my eyes.

The school bell rang and I gripped my shoes, pins stabbing my fingers and making them bleed. I pulled them out of my locker and dropped them onto the floor, everyone's heads turning as pins and needles clattered and tinkered across the floor.

I looked around at them, turning and walking out of the school building, not looking back.

*

I got home and kicked off my shoes, looking into the house. I sniffed a bit, closing the door and turning to the empty entrance, bringing in a shaky breath.

"I'm home. Mom? Dad!" I cried out, sinking to the floor, starting to cry. I hit the floor a few times before I got up, walking to my room. I slammed my door and felt my phone buzz in my pocket.

I rolled my eyes and picked it up, looking into the school's student-controlled chatter.

There was a conversation going on about me, between others. Insults and bad names were being thrown around.

'Wonder if she'll kill herself?'

'Hope so. What place does a quirkless girl have here anyway? It's for her own good.'

'Heard she had a breakdown and left.'

'She-

I couldn't look at it anymore.

I shut my phone off, throwing it at the wall and sinking down my door, sobbing into my hands.

During my breakdown, I never noticed the small flicker of my open laptop's screen. Not once had I paid attention. Not when I changed and hung my bag up. I went the entire day without seeing a thing.

I didn't notice when I left the room to find the medicine cabinet.

When I came back and set the bottle on my bed.

I walked over to my little desk, pulling a piece of paper out, starting to rummage around in a drawer for a pencil.

That's when I noticed the flickering screen.

I stared at it a bit and tapped one of the keys, nothing being fixed.

I groaned and sat down in my chair, tapping the screen a bit.

Small, red words ran along the center of the screen.

Bad day?

"...Yeah." I mumbled.

They don't get it, do they.

"No. They don't. They don't get anything!" I yelled, wiping my eyes.

If there was a way to fix everything....

I stared at the words. I could hear them in my ears. Like a low whisper.

"...Is there a way? To fix those kids at school?" I asked.

Possibly.

"What about my parents?" I asked, a little more hopeful.

Anything you want.

I leaned back in my chair a bit, thinking. "Could you get me a quirk...?"

For the right price. Anything.

I stared at that last word for a while. Anything. A normal school life. My parents loving each other and getting along again. A quirk.... Something I had always wanted. If anything was possible, that was my anything.

"What do I have to do?" I asked, almost in a whisper.

The computer screen went completely dark, leaving me in my pitch black room. I waited for my eyes to adjust, noticing a shadow-like person next to me.

I stared, frozen in fear.

They leaned closer and tapped the paper, a list of items being slew across the page with a red ink...

I stared and looked up, the figure gone. A small red circle rested on the screen. A pentacle of some sort. Not something from Wicca, or Paganism. This was something beyond everything. It was something bad.

But it was pulling me in.

Or out to a sea of things I couldn't understand.

It was a riptide. I'd been caught in it. I was being pulled out to see by it.

Slowly sinking into it, part of me afraid of the water seeping into my lungs. I wanted to cry out for help but felt choked. I started sinking further into the water, the light from the surface dimming and soon disappearing. I finally stopped struggling, closing my eyes and letting it take me.

And in no more than a couple of days, I had the materials I needed.

1018 words!

I know I know, rough start, but it's gonna get better(...maybe🙃)

I'll also give you this for some reassuring words. No, the demon contacting Yn in this first chapter IS NOT Izuku.

For that, you may need to wait longer to see.