Fondness for an Ancient Warrior Part 2

Illyana was preparing for her upcoming date with Caius. She told Pietro after he finished bedding the horses down for the night, he could enjoy the rest of the evening to himself.

Wanting to look nice, but not as if she were putting herself on display, Illyana chose a sleeveless knee-length dress in burgundy fabric, with a matching overlay of burgundy lace. Nothing showed below the knees or through the fabric. It was rather warm out, so she felt the sleeveless dress would be appropriate, yet not exposing too much skin. Still, she hoped Caius would find her attractive, but not too much so. She smiled to herself, shaking her head.

You are not looking for a relationship, Illyana.

Slipping on dark grey heels, she placed her clutch purse that contained a lipstick and a small wallet containing 200 euros and her credit cards on a table near the front door. She knew she'd have to fight Caius for the right to pay her own way, but she was ready. Did she want to owe that man anything? Absolutely not! He was fun as far as being a riding companion went, but she wanted to know more about him.

It was a few minutes before 6:00 pm, when she heard a car drive up and park near the house. She went to the front door, and opening it, saw Caius standing on her porch. He was dressed in an expensive-looking black suit, the dark broken only by the bright blue of his tie. Thank goodness she had not chosen to wear her blue dress. That would have looked too cutesy, as if they had planned their outfits together. They weren't a couple of teenagers going to the prom.

Caius' eyes looked from Illyana's face to her body, not intending anything purient. He merely found her not only beautiful, but beguiling as well. Yesterday, when he had impulsively tasted her blood, his desire for more nearly took control, but he managed to resist that desire. He gave her his most dazzling smile. "Good evening, Illyana. You're ready."

"What is that supposed to mean? I was ready awhile ago." she asked, a bit put out by the condescending statement. She tilted her head, gazing at the fair-haired man, her brows raised.

Caius realized that had come out wrong. "I'm sorry. I meant to say, you look beautiful."

She rolled her eyes and laughed. "Alright, that's better. Apology accepted, and thank you. You look quite handsome yourself." She saw him extend his hand to her. Grabbing her clutch off the table, she closed and locked the door. Taking his hand, they walked to the creme-coloured sports car he had driven to her farm the day before. She was shocked how much of a gentleman he was, opening the passenger door and letting his hand support her as she entered the low sitting vehicle. Illyana was used to men who said 'Hey, get in, so we can get going'. How much had she wanted to reply to them with a groin slap. Obviously, Caius had training in old-world manners, even if sometimes he acted a bit cocky.

They drove on the road that ran alongside her property, Caius casually lead-footing the accelerator. Illyana turned to her date, checking the speedometer, wondering if he realized how fast he was traveling. Trying to sound nonchalant, she asked, "Where are we going for dinner, Caius?"

"I found a place down this road I hope you have not yet dined in. It sits on a small hill overlooking a winery. In fact, the winery stocks the restaurant's cellar."

Admittedly, Illyana rarely dined out, since doing so alone was not something she was comfortable with. She tended to eat in small towns filled with tourists, pretending to be one, or ordered ahead at a local eatery for later pick up. It was so much easier in America, with all the fast food places around her home. Illyana could cook, but did so rarely.

"I see you have your purse with you," Caius pointed out, looking down at her lap.

"Yes, and I have lots of euros and several credit cards," she replied, as she looked out the side window, her smirk hidden from Caius.