FIVE

The next morning Cassie awoke before the sun had managed to rise. With her head still on the pillow of the cot, she glanced around the medjack hut to see the others that occupied it were still asleep. She sighed as she sat up and quietly slipped on her shoes.

Last night Minho had told her that he would be taking Thomas out pretty early today, so she wanted to see the two of them before they left. She glanced over at Teresa, who drooled a bit on the pillow beneath her head. Her hair was tossed about in a messy manner causing Cassie to smile at her.

She leaned over and softly poked her arm. "Teresa, wake up. C'mon, Terri. Don't you want to go see Tommy off? Wake up." She whispered to the girl lowly.

Teresa hummed as she slowly allowed her eyes to flutter opened. "What time is it?" She groaned as she pulled her head up.

"Early. Minho said they would leave early, so we need to go." Cassie told the girl as she stood from the bed and tiptoed towards the door.

Teresa's footsteps weren't as delicate causing Jeff to groan in his sleep and tell them to hush as he rolled over on his cot. Cassie and Teresa paused their steps and looked to one another with wide eyes before softly giggling before exiting the hut.

"I thought he would jump up in his sleep!" Teresa laughed as the two girls walked towards the entrance to the Deadheads. Cassie had been told by Minho that that would be where he would wait to meet them.

"That would've been hilarious. You would've jumped out of your skin!" Cassie giggled, as she walked by the taller girl's side.

"Oh really?" Teresa teased, "Did you not notice that you flinched the second he made a sound?"

"I did not!" Cassie exclaimed, nearly tripping over a branch causing Teresa to laugh at her. Cassie pouted as she looked over at the girl. "Oh hush."

Teresa's laughter died down after a bit. She glanced over at Cassie, who had picked up a stick and twirled it between her fingers. "You know, I feel like we may have been really good friends before our memories were erased."

"You think?" Cassie asked, turning to look at the girl. She didn't know if she was being genuine, but could tell by the look in her blue eyes that she meant it.

"Yeah, I really do." Teresa admitted, watching as the shorter girl effortlessly twirled the stick between her fingers and around her waist. "I also think that we were close with Thomas. Especially the two of you."

Cassie noticed the hint of jealousy in the girl's voice and looked up at her again. Teresa's face held a slight frown as she overthought the friendship between Thomas and Cassie.

"Thomas and I do seem like we were close, but I don't think that it was in any way other than platonic." Cassie truthfully told the girl. Cassie shrugged with a smirk. "But I see the way he looks at you."

"Me?" Teresa asked with her jaw slack. "How does he look at me?"

"The same way Minho looks at food." Cassie snorted out, beginning to twirl the stick again. "With those soft brown goo-goo eyes."

Teresa scoffed and rolled her eyes as Cassie giggled at the girl's expense. The two hushed as they heard sticks breaking under the sound of footsteps nearby.

"So follow my lead, and don't forget the number one rule: never stop running." Minho's serious voice reached Cassie's ears as she followed Teresa into the opening the two boys were standing in.

"That's a good look for you." Teresa called out to Thomas causing Cassie to smirk at the girl knowingly.

"Thanks." Thomas answered awkwardly, walking over to where the girls stood.