SIX

Later in the day, Cassie found herself with a stick in her hand and a smile on her face. Chuck had managed to convince Newt into a fifteen minute break, so the younger boy decided to make some fun with the older girl.

"Chuck, I have no idea what you're expecting me to do." She told him as she held the stick in the air.

The younger boy shook his head as he approached her and demonstrated what to do with his own stick that was slightly bigger than hers. "Okay, so hold this out in front of you. When I swing mine at you, you either dodge it or you can hit it. It's like a sword fight."

Cassie nodded in realization and quickly took a stance, holding the stick in front of her. "Okay, but don't be upset when you lose."

Chuck laughed before taking his place in front of her. As he held his stick up, he said, "Don't be upset when I win."

Newt watched the two from a log not too far away. He couldn't help the smile that crossed his face as he watched Cassie take such an interest at Chuck's form of entertainment. He placed his hands around his mouth and called out to them, "Take it easy on her, Chuck! Don't hurt the Greenie on her second day."

Cassie's jaw dropped at the lack of confidence that came from Newt. He really thought she was going to lose to the youngest one here? Not likely.

She shook her head and focused on the boy in front of her. She watched as he bounced on his feet and waved the stick side to side in order to throw her off of his next move. She didn't move an inch. She simply analyzed his every movement, which is how she noticed the slight twitch that kept popping up in his right elbow.

Two times it had happened as though he were counting in his head when to strike. With the third twitch, he lunged forward at the girl, only to miss when she stepped out of the way and turned to face him again. A small wave of pressure filled her head causing her to squint a bit.

Chuck quickly resumed his position. This time, his elbow twitched faster. One, two, three. He lunged forward again, but this time Cassie collided her stick with his. With a quick twist of the wrist, Chuck's stick landed on the ground. He huffed as he bent down to retrieve it.

As he turned his back to her, the pressure filled her head a bit harder than before. She placed her fingers to her right temple as she waited for the boy to get ready to go again. She could hear Newt's voice calling out to Chuck. She assumed they were words of encouragement because she couldn't understand what he was saying.

Again, Chuck moved to stand in front of her. His twitch just a bit faster than last time. She could tell that he thought if he sped up then she wouldn't be able to dodge his attack or fight back. One, two, three. He lunged forward again. This time something clicked in her. Not only did she collide with his stick, she twisted her wrist to make him lose grip once again and her hand grabbed his wrist. It was only for a second. Even a millisecond. Chuck didn't seem to notice at all as his jaw dropped and he went to grab his stick from the ground again.

This time the pressure in her head pounded relentlessly as the same, deep male voice she had been hearing in flashes screamed in her ears. She placed a hand to her temple, but when she opened her eyes her vision was blurred.

"Never turn your back on your enemy, Cassandra!" The man yelled at the trembling girl before him. The sound of a whip cracking pierced the air before the dark haired girl's screams echoed for anyone in the building's radius to hear.

She turned to sit on her bottom as she glared up at him. Sweat fell down her red tinted skin, but no tears could escape her brown eyes. They were swallowed by the hatred that unveiled itself in those dark hues.