Chapter VIII - The Coming Fire

It wasn't long before you all made fair distance from the Cafeteria. Walking in silence. Nobody said a word. Only sighs and coughs periodically.

You were eyeing everyone.

Their clothes,

Hair,

Skin,

It was so boring...

But you noticed Astro's necklace outline was missing from his fatigues. He tucked the amulet in his shirt you remembered, but the outline wasn't easily visible anymore. Almost as if it was gone.

"Astro?" You broke the silence.

He slightly turned his head, still looking forward but slightly to the right in the direction of your voice.

"Hm?"

"Where's your necklace?"

Astro paused, so too did the group.

They began feeling their chest, where the necklace was.

"It... Isn't there?" Astro said aloud. He began to thoroughly feel up and down his chest.

"Cmon, the necklace really isn't this important..." Fox tucked his hands in his coat pockets.

Astro paused, you all audibly heard a hard tapping sound. As Astro was tapping his chest. It sounded like he was tapping his finger in glass.

"W-What the fuck...?" Astro muttered.

He began to vigorously tug and claw at his chest.

What the hell is he doing?

Asura was first to act, grasping his shoulder and turning him around. Astro's T-shirt was ripped, and his combat jacket was unzipped.

Revealing the amulet was now merged within his chest cavity. Right in between the rib cage. With the bright purple gem sticking slightly out, still glowing ever so bright.

Asura backed off. His face with an expression wracked with confusion.

"E-EUGH!?" Fox recoiled with disgust.

"Shut the fuck up!" Asura practically screamed at Fox.

"Does it hurt? Are you okay?" You reached for Astro, they were shocked in place. Their face pale as a ghost.

Then, their PSUD went off.

"Unidentified foreign bodily substances progressing."

"Progressing?! What's happening to them? Why now? Why hasn't he said anything?"

Fox grabbed Astro's arm tightly.

"Are you still with us? Can you hear me?"

Astro nodded but he couldn't get his eyes off the amulet now infused with his body.

His device began speaking again;

"Foreign bodily substances no longer detected."

Everyone had a mutually confused look, before the hall's lights began to flicker.

Astro raised his Ithaca, still in his confused state.

Fox had his back to the door that the group was originally going to go through. Having himself ready.

The lights were dimmed, it was hard to see. A voice broke the sudden silence

"Heavily augmented hostile detected."

"What's causing this?" Asura spoke quietly to everyone.

You shrugged,
Astro hushed him. You could tell he was sweating.