Chapter 11: Cutthroat

Kaley and I went inside a nearby broom closet, and once I closed the door, she joked flirtingly "Wow, already moving to second base, huh? I like it."

"What in toasted fries did you just call me?!"

"Oh, don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. Surely you saw my social media post?"

I gave her a look, and she said "Oh, you've got to be fucking with me. You don't have instagram?"

"What. Did. You. Post?"

"Oh, nothing much, all I did was claim were dating."

As much as I wanted to bust her skull against the doorknob, I refrained, and said "Remove. It."

"No can do! Everybody in the facility knows by know about our relationship."

"Then tell them you lied. Or I will."

"No! First, tell me why you're acting like that with that... thing!"

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, don't give me that bullshit! The nervousness, the rapid tapping, the constant staring. You're practically drooling all over her!"

I looked at the ground, trying to think of a way to get her to shut up.

"She's a monster! She never should've been accepted into the government, she should be put down like the animal that she is!"

"You have ten seconds to get the frick out of my sight before I light up your nerves and make you feel like you're in hell itself," I said as green electricity subtly sparked between my fingertips.

Kaley stared at me with fear, then hurriedly brushed past me and left the broom closet.

Strangely, as she turned the door knob, I swear I heard a blip outside the closet.

Once Kaley was gone, I checked to make sure there was no one nearby, then I slowly walked to my quarters.

Once I was in my room, I told the AI to lock the door, then I plopped onto the bed, my entire body feeling emptier than usual.

Then, with a heavy sigh, I closed my eyes, and tried falling asleep.

* * *

After teleporting from behind the broom closet door to the spare quarters lent to me, I immediately started looking for something to punch.

When I couldn't find anything, I just threw my fist in a random direction, and heard a shatter of glass moments after.

Dammit! Why did I do that? Why did I have to listen in on them, I thought, practically screaming at myself.

Why does he have to like me back?

Hey, that's not bad. It just means you have somebody who likes you... so what, Hope responded, trying to comfort me. But it was a hopeless cause.

Don't you fucking start. You heard her! I'm a monster!

Hey, Samantha, don't say that. All those things you did, that was because of Robert. He forced you to do them. They're not your fault.

But it is, I thought as I started repeatedly punching the wall, as hard as I could.

I'm the one who swung the blade. I'm Samantha Akeldama! The woman who's so fearsome, even her superiors are terrified of her!

What choice did you have?! He would've tortured you even more if you didn't do what he said!

That's no excuse!