Chapter 18: I Don't Like Myself

1 week later

I stared intently at my reflection, not sure whether I should hate it or love it. Sure, everybody loves my appearance, even the lesbians.

...

But then why do I not love it?

Realizing I was staring at myself for a long while, I grabbed the comb on my dresser and began combing my hair.

After a minute of combing, I stopped, thinking Wait. Why am I combing my hair? I'm gonna be training later, so what's the point?

I looked at the comb in my hair, then shrugged. Eh, might as well. If I'm gonna be training with Samantha, It wouldn't hurt to show up looking good.

...

Wait. What if... no, don't start freaking out Matthew. Just because you have a crush on her doesn't mean you should have a panic attack every time you see her.

I sighed, set the comb down, then took one last look at my reflection before heading to the simulation room.

On the way there, I passed by Issac and Dylan; Dylan saying "He's got to be back soon, right?"

I stopped, then went to them before asking "Hey, what are you talking about?"

"Steve hasn't been seen since Cooper sent him to help New York City. We think he knows something, but he won't tell us anything," Issac explained worriedly.

"I'm sure he'll be fine. It's probably taking longer than expected."

"I... guess," Dylan said.

"Well, anyways, I gotta go train with Samantha. See ya!"

5 minutes later

I walked into the simulation room, saw Samantha looking at a combat knife, and walked up to her.

"Hey, what's up," I greeted.

Samantha looked back at me, turned in my direction, and said "Hey."

"Before we start... why are we still training? I mean, I'm, for the most part, in control of my powers. And I've got a good handle on combat."

"Yes, in combat involving your powers. But what about your ability to fight when your powers are deactivated?"

"When I'm hit with an electricity shot, I'm stunned for the first few seconds. I don't see the point."

"There's still a solid minute where you can't use your powers after you can get up. I just think it's safe to practice."

"Alright... what the knife for?"

Samantha handed the knife to me, saying "It's for you."

I hesitantly took the knife, then the simulation began loading as Samantha teleported to the back of the simulation.

Once it finished loading, revealing a dark oak forest with trees preventing most of the sunlight from reaching the ground, a single regular robot appeared in front of me.

"Really?! Just one?"

"I don't know how well you'd handle a group, so I went with just one as a warm up."

"Alright," I said, followed by the robot attempting to sock me in the face. I ducked below its arm, went behind the bot, grabbed it's waist, and attempted to suplex it.

In order to release itself, the robot head butted me, then did a sweeping kick to knock me off the ground. It then proceeded to swing a sword onto me, so I rolled out of the way, got up, and stabbed through the neck with the knife.