.9 - 𝓳𝓾𝓭𝓮'𝓼 𝓿𝓪𝓵𝓵𝓮𝔂 𝓸𝓯 𝓱𝓾𝓶𝓲𝓵𝓲𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷

𝐈'𝐋𝐋 𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(jude's valley of humiliation)
~ 𝓼𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓷 𝔂𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓼 𝓹𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓻 ~

𝐀unt March's words of warning rang throughout Jude's head as she entered the grand house, Meg standing beside her. All the women made their way up the stairs toward their dressing room separate from the men. The debutante ball was nothing short of a dream for Meg March. It was her ticket into elegant society, a way for her to put her face out there in the hope to live out her dream life that always seemed so far away. There was nothing more she wanted than to feel beautiful and this would surely be a night for it. However, to Jude, the debutante ball was a nightmare. It not only required her to put on her best show but forced her into hours of greetings a dancing. She hated both especially when they were for the purpose of finding a suitor. She wanted to find her own love. Her mother and father found one another and they had been nothing short of happy. Love was more previous when discovered on its own; but Aunt March disagreed.

"Now what dress will you wear tonight, Meg?" One of the women, Belle, Meg had acquainted the two of them with since the start of their arrival asked. Jude found her to be rather annoying. She looked beautiful, yes, with her brown hair curled in perfect ringlets that made even Jude jealous of how her hair could curl in such a way, but her personality was just horrid. She masked it with a sweet voice but even she could see how she ridiculed Meg's appearance in private. But Meg, of course, was oblivious.

 Her smile had been unmatched ever since she stepped out from the carriage and it spread even further when she realized Jude had also been invited. She had been much too excited to take notice of them mocking her. "I will wear this one." She proudly replied.

"That one?" Belle asked in complete shock, the volume of which she said it attracting a few stray stares from the other girls as they ascended the stairs to reach the area in which they were meant to get ready for the night's festivities. 

Jude fought against the anger that began to taint her annoyance, knowing it wouldn't end well for her if she let the emotion get the better of her. Whether she liked it or not, she would be spending the entire next two days with these girls until it came time for her to leave tomorrow night. She couldn't start a war with them if she wanted this to be tolerable. Meg would disprove such a thing as well. 

The blonde in front of Meg in their line up the stairs craned her head over her shoulder as she inquired, "Can't you send home for another?"

Meg's smile faltered for a brief second, suddenly feeling embarrassed. Jude opened her mouth to speak on her behalf but Meg placed her hand over her arm, silencing her. "I haven't got another." Meg replied, her voice still strong in the wake of her rising doubt.