.21 - 𝓹𝓻𝓸𝓶𝓲𝓼𝓮𝓼

𝐈'𝐋𝐋 𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(promises)

𝐓here was a time in Theodore Laurence's life when he thought he could only ever love the wild Jo March. He had adored her spirit and company and she had done well to distract him from all the negative aspects of his life. But what he failed to realize was how everything good about them was also a cacophonous collaboration. The two fought everywhere they went. Neither could truly give the other what they wanted. Jo always demanded her freedom and Laurie begged for stability. He had done everything for an ounce of her attention viewed outside of just friendship but in doing so, he had blinded himself to the love already there. 

Judith Almeida had always been there for him in the wake of Jo's ruin. She had elevated his heart rate and sent a whirlwind of emotions through his heart. But they had been so wild and untamed that he misplaced it for overwhelming joy and excitement rather than love. She was everything Jo wasn't. Delicate despite her strength, cautious yet curious, centered yet unpredictable, and most importantly she kept him level when times called for a ruckus. They fought of course, but theirs was different than when he and Jo did. She fought with him about his morals while Jo fought him to contain his feelings.  

He would regret the day he pushed her away for the rest of his life. He had been so panicked by her boldness but even more so by the spiral that had taken to his heart. It scared him beyond anything because it was something he had never felt before. Not even in his happiest moments with Jo. In that moment she had him question everything about his life and every decision he was going to make and that doubt alone had clouded his emotions into one thing; anger.

But his eyes were open now and he wouldn't let her slip away so easily again.

Judith stood in her black dress amongst the grass just before the road as she awaited the coachman to finish lifting her trunks into the carriage. She was to travel back home alone with Amy having already departed with Fred and Aunt March falling ill the day before their travels. She worried for her Aunt but the elder woman insisted she makes peace with Beth before focusing all her time to care for her. Despite the rough patch the two had been going through, Aunt March knew how dear Judith held Beth in her heart and she would never hold her hostage at the most important time to say her goodbyes. 

Judith had informed Lou of her cousin's passing and declined his proposal in accompanying her on her journeys back home. He insisted on at least seeing her to the carriage but Judith again denied him saying she needed time away until her mind was clear. She knew he'd use it as an excuse to ask for her hand in marriage seeing as he wasn't able to the few days prior. She couldn't bring herself to give him an answer so she wrote a letter for him to find on her kitchen table when he went to visit Aunt March later in the night telling of her decline in marriage.