Malcolm in the Middle:"The Next Gen..." Part II...

"Malcolm in the Middle: The Next Gen..."

Summary: Eighteen years after high school graduation, the lives of child genius and well-meaning brat Malcolm Wilkerson and his family are rather different yet surprisingly familiar.

Part II...

The office of Hal Wilkerson, partner and CMSOO (Chief Marinade and Spices Operating Officer) of "The Brothers' Hernandos Greasey Khicken" vegan fast-food empire...

"You ready for me, Hal?" his assistant Skyler White, a tall, beautiful blonde beaming at him in doorway...

"What?"

"You wanted me to take some dictation..." she noted, entering and closing door.

"I did?"

"Or something..." shrug...

Surely, I've unbuttoned this blouse enough, for cryin' out loud...She thought.

"Well...Did I? I'm on the phone right now. An important business call...We'll have to do dictation or whatever later."

"I'll wait." Skyler, firmly. Taking chair and pulling to Hal's side, sitting and beaming at him.

"Oh...Uh, whatdya know, Lois is on line two." He pretended to press. Skyler rolling eyes but shrugging it off. "Oh, darn...Lost the other call. Hey, sweetheart."

"Hal?" Lois' faint voice from phone. "You gonna finish that one? Or is that as far as it's got?"

"Still polishing it down, Lois. Can I get back to you, sweetheart?"

"Ok...But I'm watching Malcolm's hearings on TV and I got spin class at eleven. And I'll be there for lunch at 1. You did reserve 'conference room A'...?" coy tone.

"Right, honey. Record Malcolm for me? Love ya!" he hung up.

Lunch, again? Skyler glared. Always the way...Terrible how she keeps him on a string. Never a day goes by they don't have lunch together. He calls her three, four times a day and when he doesn't, she calls him. Then always those long lunches in the conference room he had them install a sofa bed in, for any night he feels inspired to work late on his latest...Though as yet he's always gone home at five or four...Or two, if he can.

And worst of all, it's not cause she's nervous about me. I think.

Hell, it's like she totally ignores the viper in his bosom...Though given my lack of progress...Frown.

"Skyler? So, what was it I wanted?" Hal eyed her.

"Oh...Uh...I think..."

"Was it that list of exotic spices Reese called me about? The ones he thought might help in my quest for a totally 100% new flavor experience?"

"Yeah...Sure..." she nodded, inward sigh.

"Great, well...Let me get the list and you can start getting the order letters out. Oh, honey..." he smiled benignly at her as he rose. "That darned blouse of yours has come loose again. You better hit the ladies room and see to it. We don't want some of those jerks in the office giving you trouble. I don't know how they can be so insensitive but you know..."

"Yeah...Thanks, Hal." Audible sigh, she rising.

"Oh, and if Gus calls, put it right through. He's in some critical negotiations with you know who..."

"The Colonel?" she eyed him.

"Well, yeah...It's funny, isn't it? That there really was and is a Colonel Sanders?" chuckle.