Malcolm in the Middle: "The Next Gen..." Part III...

"Malcolm in the Middle: The Next Gen..."

Summary: Eighteen years after high school graduation, the lives of child genius and well-meaning brat Malcolm Wilkerson and his family are rather different yet surprisingly familiar.

Part III...

Three years earlier...

"Hey, welcome to the new Greasey Chicken...Khichen..." Hal in "Greasey Khichen" standard uniform of paper hat, apron with dripping pop-eyed rooster emblazoned across, at door, greeting entering customers. "Our new vegan-centered addition to the Greasey Chicken family." Beaming at two young women in their late teens regarding him with sour looks.

"Care to try our latest...Totally vegan..." he offered samples on toothpicks.

"This is vegan...?" one of the women eyed the toothpicked, breaded sample. "It looks gross."

"Totally..." her companion agreed.

"Oh, no, it's vegan and delicious. See." He took bite, gasping at the taste as he tried to chew.

"Oh, my God..." he grimaced, spitting up the piece into its original holding cup. "That's...Sorry, went down the wrong way. Really, it's amazing." Desperate wave.

"Gross." Both girls turning to leave.

"Well, thanks! Come again!" he waved.

Oh, Lord...He glanced about the restaurant.

Well, some people are staying and eating. I guess the fries and the salads are ok.

He pulled out his buzzing cell phone... "Hey, sweetheart!"

"Honey! How's the grand opening going?! We're coming as soon as Aimee gets Haley to settle down a bit. Dewey says he's finished composing his triumphing...." Lois' voice.

"Triumphal fanfare, Mom!" Dewey's voice from across the room. "Play, Aimee! Play your guts out! And I want see those guts!" cry to a fervently nodding, lovely Aimee, a twenty year old tall version of her mother Kitty Kenarban.

"Whatever, it's really catchy." Lois noted.

"Oh, great..." Hal nervously eyeing two more customers tossing their food in the garbage, barely tasted.

"You don't sound good...What's wrong?" Lois' voice on phone. "Are things not going ok?"

"Lois, it's a disaster. The food, well at least, the imitation chicken...Khichen is horrible!" he hissed, anxiously turning into a corner by a stack of washed glasses.

"I thought Gus told you he'd got a new recipe. Besides..." offhand tone. "It's vegan. People'll eat to prove they're 'pro-environment' or 'vegan' or 'woke' or whatever..."

"Not when it's totally awful! Lois, this is terrible."

"Well, thank God I made you not invest in the place. Hal? You didn't invest?" worried and increasingly suspicious tone.

"How could I? You changed the numbers on the retirement account." He noted.

"Only to protect us...But you still had...Hal? Not your check?"

"I had to support the place, Lois. And it was only one social security check..."

"Hal...We're on a fixed income now." annoyed tone. "Only one?"

"Only one...And Reese is rich now. Plus Malcolm and Dewey and even Francis are doing well..."

"You mean Cynthia and Piama are doing well...Malcolm's got everything of his tied up in his Senate bid, you know that...Dewey in his orchestral training project for kids who never got the support we gave him..."