Chapter 7

They stay there, wrapped up in blankets and surrounded by the stars above. Galaxies glimmer, explosions of purple and blue speckled with blinks of more stars. It seems never-ending.

"Hey, didja ever learn about the constellations?" Edward asks.

"Mhm, I learnt about them in books, but I always struggled with identifying the more complicated ones." Stede says, craning his neck as he looks up. "There, you can easily see Orion's Belt."

"How about a more obscure one?" Edward says, examining the glittering sky. "Ever heard of Corvus?"

"No, I haven't." Stede searches the sky as well. "What does it look like?"

"A flag." Edward says. And there, he's found it. "It's a funny, wobbled square with a star that adds a line sticking out of it. I suppose it could look like a sail but on a much smaller ship. So I like to think of it as a flag."

"That's nice." Stede says. "Imagine having a ship sailing up in the sky rather than in the ocean. Where is it?" His voice lilts as he asks. Edward guides him by lifting Stede's arm and pointing to where it is.

"Not as cool as a hunter with a bow, but the sky is full of stars, so why can't we have our own little thing?" Edward says. "Something more original."

"Heh, I like it." Stede says. "Much more interesting than the main... how many, 12 or so? Plus all the other well-known ones."

"Oh, you know what? On my old ship, there was this nut who believed that... God, it sounds stupid." Edward laughs. "That the stars you were born under dictates who you are, and who you're compatible with."

"I had an aunt who believed in that." Stede says, sniggering a little. "Maybe someone on our ship believes it too."

"The Swede?"

"Or even Frenchie. He's pretty superstitious." Stede says.

"Aw, yeah, definitely him." Edward shifts in his seat - despite the blankets, his behind is beginning to feel numb on top of the hard wooden boards. But it's nice to chat with Stede about menial things. Brings him back to before everything got so fucked up.

"Do you believe in the compatibility part? Or soulmates?" He asks Stede.

"Oh, no," Stede frowns. "I don't like the idea of our lives being predetermined. Otherwise, I would have never gone out to sea."

"Unless that was predetermined."

Stede gives him a thwack. "Don't get all philosophical with me, Ed." He says as Edward laughs. "Ah-" He winces as he lowers his arm, which is slightly shaking.

"What's wrong?" Edward's still smiling. But then Stede breathes in a wheezing, shaky breath, and curls into him. "Stede?" He sits up, taking Stede by his shoulders.

His hand is clasped over his side.

"Stede." Faster now, Edward reaches for his shirt's buttons. Stede winces again, flinching at his touch.

Blood. The gauze has been bled through again.

"Fuck." Edward raises his hands to his mouth. "Okay. It's alright. I'll redo it." Stede looks even paler, now, in the moonlight, and even a little yellow. "Come on." He gets to his knees and tugs Stede's shoulder. Grudgingly, he allows Edward to pull him up.

Stede looks down at the blankets, not allowing his gaze to rise up to Edward. He's embarrassed, Ed realises. Embarrassed for being injured? Hell no.

He musters the most cheerful voice he can. "And, up!" He whisks Stede up, bridal style, and the man laughs - more in surprise than joy.