Chapter 14 - Lessons in Witchcraft

As I sat on the edge of my bed, I kept on repeating the scenario in my head.
They hated me, they all hated me. They had given me a chance and I blew it. She had trusted me not to hurt her but I, I almost killed her. Part of me wanted to kill her, exact revenge for something she had no hand in causing.

I loathed myself for what I had almost done.

I had practically barricaded myself inside the cabin whilst waiting for my punishment to be decided. I had decided to barricade myself in almost three days ago. I was thankful for the books Bavtec had given me, they were probably the only thing hold my sanity together.

Still time passed inconsistently here. Then again when I was in my other forms, I could not feel the effects of time ebbing away like a stream. Though it did feel good to sleep on all fours again, I always hated myself when I regained consciousness. The sheer disembodiment of my mind to reality was annoying.

I had been able to read all three of the books. Surprisingly, though, I found the three protagonists unnaturally relatable. In each of the books it told of a warrior who was an outcast, even when surrounded by those with similar qualities. I sighed as I closed the final book and neatly placed it back on it's pile behind me.

As I looked around at 'my' room, I realised how plain it was. Apart from the newer books, everything is the same as when I first arrived. Well apart from the trapdoor underneath a set of built in bookshelves. As I looked at the inconspicuous pile of books placed on the hidden door, I seriously debated about sneaking out.

Deep down I knew that if I did not leave soon, then even with the books and teachings, I would probably lose my mind. I longed to feel the wind dashing through my fur. To feel the warm light be soaked into my alabaster scales. To hear the small birds sing and hear the thunderous sound of the Deer's hooves against the dry earth.

How I would give anything just to be back in that cave, to be that oblivious little boy playing with his brothers and sisters. To be able to snuggle down in our den, knowing we were all safe. Our bodies keeping us warm as we drifted into our joyous rest.

If I got caught that would only make them not trust me even more. I promised Robyn that I would only leave if accompanied by a council member. I resolved myself to not break the parole and not to break my self-imposed imprisonment.

I groaned as I decided a nap would help clear my mind. So as I slowly turned into the grizzly size Wolf, I wrapped around myself and led on the soft rug by my bed.

Despite my conflicted mind, sleep soon had it's relaxing and relieving grasp on me.

———————————————————

We were all starting to get worried about Stephen. From what We had been told, he has not left his room in almost four days. The reasoning for this was apparent to all of us. We all knew that he blamed himself for losing control. But only few reckon how much the guilt actually got to him.

When I had tried to enter through the large decorated Oak door, I had found that he had barricaded it on the inside. I probably would have then tried the 'secret' trapdoor except I could see that it was covered from his window.

Deciding not to waste anytime, I silently opened a small rift and stepped through it. When I emerged on the other side I almost tripped over the rug. Upon looking around the room, I saw it was empty. But upon hearing the faintest breathing, I turned back round to the rug.

I was quite surprised to see that Stephen had curled up and fallen asleep. I tried to stifle a warm chuckle. Deciding it best to let him rest, I reached for the top book on the nearest pile, sat down on his bed and started to read it.