chapter seven, the rimes girl

chapter seven,
the rimes girl

📺🥧🦔

AS I sit in my room, I stare up at the ceiling as I listen to Heart of Glass through my headphones. "Melissa!" Someone yells making me groan and get up, discarding my headphones on my bed.

I walk downstairs and see Cassidy sitting on the couch and Brody with a sling on. "What happened to your arm?" I ask.

"Tuck tried to kill me." He says as he pushes past me to go upstairs.

"Hi." I say as I look at Daddy.

"Hi, Mel." Daddy says, then he looks at Cassidy. "Cass? What are you doin' here? Why aren't you at the LeAnn concert?"

"There was an unfortunate situation with Bailey. I don't like to talk out of school, but selfish is not a pretty color on a nanny." Summer says.

"Honey, what happened?" Daddy asks.

"Cassidy, sweetie, I'm so sorry. Before you say anything -" Bailey says as she walks in the house.

"I never wanna see you again." Cassidy says.

"I said before you say anything." Bailey says.

"Will someone tell me what happened?" Daddy asks.

"Bailey never showed up for the bus, but I was there for Cassidy as always. You're up to speed!" Summer says.

"Beau, I went on my audition as planned, was about to leave as planned, then I ran into Boone, which was not planned -"

"You didn't show up for my daughter 'cause you ran into your ex-boyfriend?" Daddy asks.

"I called Cass and said I'd meet her at the concert, not havin' any idea that the most important part of that trip was the two of us ridin' the bus together. How could I have not known that? I'll tell you how. 'Cause I obviously know nothin' about children. Make like you didn't hear that." Bailey says.

I furrow my brows and move to the other couch and sit next to Chloe. "All I know is when Lilly told me that you got off that bus, it broke my heart. I mean, I've had plenty if heartbreak, but it has never felt like this before. So, what are you doing to me kid? When I took this job, I thought it was just a job, but then you went and made me start carin' about you, and worryin' about you, and lovin' you. Oh, it's hard. How do mama's do it?" Bailey asks.

"The same way daddies do it." Daddy says.

"With handcuffs?" I ask making Daddy raise his eyebrows. "I know, I'm already grounded."

"I was gonna say, one day at a time." He replies, looking at Bailey.

"Look, Cass, I know I can't make up for missin' the bus. But I know how special LeAnn Rimes is to you and your Mama. And since it's my fault you missed her, I brought you back a really cool present from the LeAnn concert." Bailey says.

"I don't want anything from the LeAnn concert." Cassidy says.

"Not even LeAnn?" Someone asks as they open the door. I turn around to see LeAnn Rimes and I raise my eyebrows.