chapter ten, the rocky top

chapter ten,
the rocky top

📺🥧🦔

AS I sleep with my head on Tuck's shoulder in the stable, I hear people begin to sing. I open my eyes and see everyone crowded around My Girl, singing.

Then, My Girl stands up. "My Girl!" Bailey says excitedly.

"She's tryin' to get up!" Dylan smiles. The horse begins to walk and Daddy takes my two older brothers outside.

I let out a breathe and walk inside the house. Tonight has been hectic. And on top of all that, Bailey might not be our nanny anymore.

📺🥧🦔

WE all stand in the kitchen, making breakfast when a door slams upstairs. "Bailey's up! I heard a door! She's comin'!" Brody says.

"Let's move. Here, Brody, take the waffles." Tuck says as he hands the plate to Brody.

"Where's her favourite cupcake?" Dylan asks.

"Come on." Tuck urges as we all get into a little clump. I pick up Chloe and rest her on my hip.

We all begin harmonising 'break a leg' when Cassidy comes downstairs making us stop. "Oh, it's you." Dylan says.

"Seriously? You're celebratin' that the most important person whoever walked into our lives is leavin' us?" Cassidy asks.

"Who needs a sun when she's around?" I ask.

"How can y'all be so happy? Tell 'em what you told me, Dylan." Cassidy says.

"I said –"

"He said once Baikey wins that contest tonight, she's gone. We're never gonna see her again." Cassidy says.

"What do you mean we're never gonna see her again?" Brody asks.

"Well, what do you think's gonna happen if she wins tonight?" Cassidy asks.

"She'll make records, go on tour, become famous, go to Hollywood." Brody says as he takes the plates to the table.

"And then what? Fly home from Hollywood every night to take Chloe to the potty?" Cassidy asks as she sits down.

"I've been pottying on my own since I was four." Chloe corrects as we all sit down.

"Wow. I didn't even think about Bailey leavin'. I can't picture our lives without her." Brody says.

"Neither can I." Tuck says.

"Mel, I don't want Bailey to leave!" Chloe cries as she runs around to me.

"Hey, Chloe, don't cry. It'll be ok. Right Tuck?" I ask as I pull the six-year-old onto my lap.

"Of course it'll be ok. We gotta get it together, y'all. This is Bailey's dream. We gotta think of her like our little songbird. We let her into our nest and, now we gotta let her fly." Tuck says.

"Cheer up y'all. Bailey and I aren't gonna drop out of your lives. We'll still keep in touch." Dylan says.

I raise my eyebrows and pick up a strawberry, handing it to Chloe. "Chlo, throw this at Dylan." I say, and she does.