45|Ruling Couple

"Vada?"

The Queen shuffeled closer to the light as she heard Harald's voice. And he tried to get closer as well. Sadly he couldn't move further, his chains restraining him from doing so.

But Vada stood to her feet, struggling to get up because of her tied together hands. With quick steps she came closer to him and crushed into him, her face placed sideways against his chest, her body pressing against his.

His hands were tied at the front so he lifted them over her head and placed them behind her back, pulling her closer.

They were in a short comfortable silence until she felt his hands against hers.

"What are you doing?" She questioned, but didn't receive an verbal answer.

Instead she felt how his fingers were trying to open the knots that were tied into the rope. 

Again, comfortable silence and she snuggled her face closer to his chest. Even though his body smelled bad and it seemed to her that her hadn't washed in a long time.

When she could finally move her wrists freely again and the rope fell to the ground, she moved her hand in front of her and up to his face.

"What happened?" She questioned, her voice just above a whisper, while she cupped his dirty face in her hands.

Harald didn't answer, of course he didn't. He was ashamed for sure. Olaf was an ally and now he had taken over his Kingdom and held him as prisoner.

Suddenly the door of the hut was opening and the light of flaming torches was entering the hut.

Vada had her face cuddled close to Harald, her hair falling over her face, to hide her from the men's gazes.

She wasn't too fond of the idea, that they would find out who she really was this soon.

"Oh look at this. Isn't this lovely? Harald, my men brought another prisoner, and here you are luring her into your spell. Even when you look like this. Not washed in months." It was Olaf's voice that she heard, but she tried not to speak up.

She kept silent and hid her face further in the shaby cloak of Harald.

"You. Girl. Look at me." As she heard Olaf's words she let her hand fall from Harald's face and fisted the fabric into her hand.

"Please, don't let him see me." She whispered so only Harald could hear. Instinctively he pulled her even closer, his cuffed hands now resting on her bum.

"It's just a shielmaiden that your men found. You think she is of any worth? Let me have my way with her." Harald spoke up. But Vada could hear that he was scared, maybe even cowardly speaking to King Olaf. He wasn't himself anymore, yet still he tried his best to protect her.

"Just a shieldmaiden? Is it an incident that tonight King Bjorn, accompanied by Queen Vada tried to attack us to set you free, Finehair? And is it an incident that my men found a blonde haired shieldmaiden, who resembles the Queen of Bud?

Come on then, Queen Vada, show your pretty God-given face to me."

Even though there wasn't much colour left in Vada's face, because of the coldness, the remaining one drained at Olaf's words.

She would never see her children again. They would grow up under Thyra's wings. They would know no other than her to be their mother. And Knud would be the closest to a father that they would have.

Tears welled in her eyes as these thoughts sprung to her head.

Some other King or Queen, maybe even King Olaf would take over her Kingdom and they would search for her children.