27| Safe Place

It must've been already midday as Vada opened her sleep filled eyes, because from the outside, the already busy sounds of the small village were heard. Hvitserk was sleeping soundly next to her, his back facing the woman. Rubbing her hands down her face, Vada stood up, as quiet as she could and slipped on her dress and shoes.

She decided to let Hvitserk sleep, because he always stayed up at night, fearing that if he fell asleep someone would come and take them. He had many sleepless nights, the fear of Ivar always creeping into his dreams, creating terrifying nightmares inside his head.

Taking one last quick glance at the sleeping man she opened the door and walked outside. The woman had to squint her eyes, only slowly getting adjusted to the bright light outside. Her thought of before was confirmed, as she watched the townspeople already busying themselves with their daily chores. From afar the clashing sounds of the blacksmith was heard, just as a few goats were running past her, a young boy with a stick in his hand behind them.

So much time had passed since she had last been here. So much has changed. But then again, nothing had changed at all. As soon as she stepped into the village she felt like the young girl she was back then.

She felt like her mother would still scold her that she had slept in, and didn't help with feeding the animals or at the fields.

And just as her thoughts seemed to overwhelm her again, she heard her mother call her name, bringing her back to the present time. Turning around she set up a smile, as she saw her mother walking over to her, Frodr behind Gunnhild.

"My sweet child. I am happy to finally see you again." The man spoke, a warm smile playing on his lips as he pulled Vada into a hug. Letting out a sigh she wrapped her arms around him, placing her head on his chest for a quick moment, before pulling back.

Frodr had always been the closest to a father she could've imagined and her mother seemed to have been very happy with him. Her mother and him always seemed to help each other, sharing their foods, helping each other with their daily chores. Sometimes even sharing the bed, but never had they married each other.

Vada was very happy to see him again, because just like her mother, he always seemed to feel like home.

"Where is Hvitserk?" Gunnhild questioned, as she linked her arm in Vada's and started to pull her away and over to the mead hall. "He's still asleep, I don't want to wake him." She answered shortly, only receiving an understanding nod of her mother.

"I want to ride to Tamdrup. I want to seek help of Harald." Vada seemed to startle her mother by saying that, because the older woman came to a sudden halt.

"But Harald was fighting against you." her mother's voice was quiet and she took her hands in her own.

"He made the wrong choice. But you don't know him." Vada's voice seemed to bear an uncertainty but she tried to play it off. Hvitserk had told her, in one of those many sleepless nights, that Ivar had sent Harald away. But he had other plans, as far as Hvitserk could guess. It was never Harald's plan to do the dirty work for Ivar. The older King hoped that Ivar would be killed soon, so he could finally take over Kattegat. Much to his distaste the Queen fell pregnant and so he had to change his plan.

That was all Vada knew, all that Hvitserk had told her. But it was enough for her to believe that Harald would help her, to return safely to her lands and in return help him with his plan to overthrow Ivar.

"I am not sure if this is a good plan Vada. You don't know how he will react." Her mother tried to reason her, but it was no use. Vada had always been stubborn and if she had her mind set up on something, it was ought to happen.