18| Broken Agreements

Sitting on her black Stallion, Vada took a look around. Halfdan was to her right a stern look on his face. She knew how anxious he was about meeting his brother again. Many things have changed since they last saw each other. Her warriors were right behind her, forming a huge line of men and women along with Lagertha's. Her gaze wandered farther away, seeing Harald's banners waving in the wind behind him. He was sitting tall and proud on his horse, Hvitserk right beside him, along with Ivar who was seated in his chariot. Nearly unnoticeable her eyes widened as she saw the woman she had seen in her dreams. Unmistakable it was Astrid, sitting on a horse next to King Harald. The memories of the dream came flooding back in her head. Ubbe facing Hvitserk. Harald facing Halfdan. Lagertha facing Astrid.

"This is not right." Lagertha exclaimed through clenched teeth, tension very prominent in her voice. "It is not right, that the sons of Ragnar should try and slaughter each other. We will send emissaries." She ordered and Bjorn agreed, nudging his horse forward. Without hesitation Halfdan followed him and Vada stretched her hand out, grabbing his arm. "No." she mouthed, shaking her head slightly. He however only pushed off her hand, pulling the reins of the horse, making it walk.

Too far away to hear anything Bjorn and Halfdan now came to a halt, waiting for Harald and Hvitserk to meet them. She could see Lagertha tensing, gripping the reins tightly a worried look on her face as she glanced at Vada. Trying to give her a sort of comforting, she sent her a small forced smile, before looking back at the four men in the middle of the soon to be battleground. They parted their ways now, Bjorn turning his horse around, however it wasn't Halfdan following him, but Hvitserk. "They've exchanged hostages." Vada breathed out, already fearing for her husband's life. She knew how short-tempered Harald could be, when it came to betrayal. And surely his brothers actions seemed like betrayal to him.

As Bjorn and his brother reached the others, they rode back to the camp in silence. She could feel Hvitserk's eyes burning holes in the back of her head, as he rode behind her, next to Ubbe. Trying to ignore this whole feeling, Vada took in the landscape, the hills and moles, the woods and wide parts of flat land. Knud was riding next to her and could clearly sense the tension radiating off of his Queen. "My Queen. Do not worry so much. Your husband, our King will be fine. His brother won't kill him." He tried to comfort her, but it was no use. "I appreciate it, although you have never met King Harald. I have experienced his anger myself. He forced himself on me, as he saw his beloved princess was married to another man. When he is in that kind of state, he doesn't care who he is hurting, he just lets his anger run wild." She spoke softly, her voice cracking.

His eyes widened as his Queen told him about the rape, but he didn't say anything more, not really knowing what to say. They had reached the camp now, and Vada followed her warriors to her side of the camp, before she got down from her horse. Handing the reins over to Leif, she excused herself, making her way over to where she saw the sons of Ragnar, along with Lagertha and Torvi sat.

"I saw a figure amongst your leaders. The Saxon we met in Aethelwulf's camp, Bishop Heahmund. Why is he here?" Ubbe asked Hvitserk, just as Vada stepped under the tent, protecting them from the rain which slowly started picking up. "Ivar captured him in battle. He is a great, great warrior. You would do well to stay out of his way." Hvitserk spoke, slightly annoyed by this whole situation. Vada scoffed at his statement and rolled her eyes, earning a raised eyebrow of him. "He would do well to stay out of my way." Bjorn said, drawing his gaze back from Hvitserk to the ground before him.

Hvitserk's eyes tore from Vada, who was leaning against one of the poles, looking at Lagertha who now sat in front of him. "We want to find a way of avoiding needles slaughter. Please help us, Hvitserk." She spoke, honesty lacing her voice, but Hvitserk only shook his head, "I can't. And I don't want to. I bet you've never seen Ivar change his mind over something he has decided. It wouldn't be any use if I chose to help you." He shrugged carelessly. Bjorn scoffed at his choice of words and left along with Lagertha who seemed to has lost all remaining hope. Torvi, her son and Ubbe left as well, not able to bear the sight of the hostage any longer. The only one who stayed was Vada, who kept leaning against the pole, her arms crossed over her chest.