Chapter Six: Shelter

So I forgot to write down all the things that happened these past few days like an idiot. We found some shelter and supplies, but that's pretty much it. In some better news, I found out this dimension might have all the parts I need to rebuild The Gate. Yes I finally gave my invention a name, The Gate. Not the greatest, but I'll keep workshopping it. Actually, let me just walk you through what happened the day we found where we are now...

Flaaaassshhbaaaaackk

"Of course, I get stuck with you after all the shit you said, "Tom groaned as we walked, his expression and demeanor noticeably more depressed than normal. I scoffed as we walked and smirked at him, feeling good about his bad mood. "Oh what, don't like spending time with me?" My tone was mocking, I knew why he was mad. Tom glared at me, his eyes flashing purple. "Don't even start. We're just stuck together for an hour or two. I'll kill you if I have to, don't test me today, Commie," Tom snarled slightly as he spoke, the thin purple smoke coming from my eyes swirling up past me. "Ah ah ah, don't forget I'm your only hope to get home. Back to your precious bass, Susan was it?" I held up my notebook and shook it to remind him I was in charge here. "Don't bring her into this," Tom growled, putting his hands in his pockets. "It has pronouns?" Tom looked up at me and nodded. "Yes, she does," he snarled. I laughed and shook my head. "Are you that lonely that you decided to have sex with a guitar. Ha, you're a fucking loser!" I slapped the back of his head and kept walking.

We were out looking for any supplies and the person I might've seen in the swamp if we happen upon them. I didn't want to meet whoever that was, they were definitely dangerous and I didn't know how they would react to four random dudes appearing in their home. "Hmph, at least I have a relationship," Tom tried to snap back and I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, with a guitar that can't ever love you back. That's worse than having a body pillow, Witness." I smirked and glanced behind me as I heard something fall. "Yeah, you'd know about having a body pillow wouldn't you, Commie?" Tom glanced behind too and shrugged. I scoffed and rolled my eyes, putting my hands in my pockets. "At least I don't try and fuck it," I muttered under my breath. We kept walking, bickering and occasionally slapping or punching each other.

I was surprised we didn't break into a full-on fistfight, but maybe we didn't have the energy for it, which was probably it. I heard heavy footsteps and a snarl in the distance and stopped, my eyes darting around to find somewhere to hide. "Not again," Tom mumbled as he slipped into a room that wasn't blocked off. I put my foot in front of the door before he closed it and slipped inside. "Find your own place to hide, Commie." I shook my head and closed the door. "I did, you just happened to hide where I was going to hide," I said with a smirk, knowing it would irritate Tom. "You know what, I don't even feel like wasting more of my breath on you. Just shut up until the lizard walks by or we're both dead," Tom sighed, sitting down and picking at his hands. The ground shook as the lizard walked past and my breathing got caught in my throat, I still wasn't used to how much sound these monsters made. "How are you so calm?" I mumbled as I sat against the door, watching to see if the lizard's shadow would pass by. Tom shrugged. "I'm not calm, I just don't really care," he mumbled.

I watched as the lizard's shadow passed by the room we were hiding in and heard a loud crash as it broke down a wall out towards the jungle. I flinched and saw Tom smirk, raising one of his eyebrows. "You work with soldiers and you're this jumpy? Do you jump and scream at every gunshot or explosion too?" Tom asked in a snarky tone. "I thought you weren't going to waste your breath on me." I frowned, putting my hand on my gun in my pocket. "Yeah, I'm not. I'm just trying to figure out how you're so trigger happy, in love with guns, work with soldiers allegedly, and yet you jump every time one of the monsters breaks something. Doesn't make a lot of sense," Tom said, leaning against the control panel behind him.