Chapter 2 The Years Go By

Taking care of a baby was more complicated than Vegeta thought. On his home planet, infants were sent to nurseries. Their strength was evaluated, and they were sent to conquer worlds. Parents did not take care of their offspring until they were three years old. It was a new concept to handle a baby. Luckily, Vegeta had a lot of help caring for his son.

On the first day at Capsule Corp, Harry cried for his mother and father. It annoyed Vegeta to no end that his son was asking for another man, but Bulma assured Vegeta it was only because Lily's husband was the only father he knew.

"It'll be okay, Vegeta. Ryu will see you as his father soon enough," Bulma told Vegeta.

It was easier to convince Harry that his name had changed. Everyone began calling Harry Ryujin, but the baby insisted that his name was Harry. Bulma reasoned with him, and Harry finally accepted his new name.

The other new development was Ryujin's tail. The baby found it fascinating and would giggle uncontrollably as his new tail swished back and forth. Ryujin reached around to grasp his tail and yelped when he grabbed the tip of it. Vegeta had to explain to his son about his tail and did it in the simplest way he could. Though it was difficult for him, Vegeta got through it.

After that, Vegeta taught Ryujin how to control his tail. It took several attempts, but Ryujin finally figured out how to control his tail and wrap it around his waist. The baby was so happy that he could accomplish that that he waddled to Vegeta and hugged his leg. Vegeta stiffened at first, but his hard heart melted when his son looked up at him and grinned. A ghost of a smile crossed Vegeta's face, and he picked Ryujin up and held him. Ryujin giggled and patted Vegeta's face with enough strength to surprise Vegeta.

"Dada!" Ryujin squealed.

Vegeta was taken aback that his son called him dad. He understood that infants couldn't say father, but Vegeta found that he liked his son calling him Dada. Bulma, playing her and Goku's son, Trunks, squealed when she heard Ryujin call Vegeta Dada. Vegeta looked at Bulma and scowled.

"Don't scowl at me, Vegeta! It's awesome that Ryu called you Daddy. Don't you dare ignore it," Bulma commanded.

Vegeta didn't want to show weakness in front of Kakkarot's mate but looking down at his son again, he couldn't resist the hopeful look in his son's eyes. Vegeta's eyes softened, and he kneeled in front of Ryujin, "I'm proud of you, my son," Vegeta said and placed his hand on Ryu's head.

Ryu giggled and threw himself at his father, then kissed his cheek. Vegeta smiled, then glared at Bulma, who looked like she would cry.

Vegeta frowned, "Woman if you tell anyone..."

"Don't be so dramatic, Vegeta. Your secret is safe with me," Then she giggled, "And Goku."

Vegeta snapped his head around and saw Goku standing in the doorway, grinning. Vegeta glared at Goku, who also promised not to say a word about the way Vegeta was acting toward his son.

As Ryujin got older, it was apparent that he was progressing more than Human children. He began to eat on his own, though he did have the appetite of a typical Saiyan. Once stable, Ryu followed Vegeta wherever he went or would play with baby Trunks. For being Vegeta's son, Ryujin was unusually gentle. Bulma assumed he received his kind heart from his mother. But Ryu was still a sturdy baby and never cried when he hurt himself. He became more determined to do better.

The months went by, and Ryujin developed faster than human babies. He quickly began eating solid foods and depended on his bottle less and less, and, of course, he had the same appetite as the other Saiyans.

Now that Ryujin was a little older, Gohan would mock fight with him and try to train him. By this time, Trunks could walk, and when Ryu wasn't with Gohan or his father, he would spend his time with Trunks. Ryu would mock fight with Trunks but ensured he never hurt his friend.

Little by little, young Trunks began to follow, Ryujin around and tried to copy whatever Ryu did. Once Ryujin was more stable in his family, Vegeta noticed that his son had a penchant for fighting. He once observed his son copying his moves and decided that it was time to train his son, even though Ryu was only three years old. Vegeta knew that his son would excel.

Vegeta started slowly, showing Ryu how to defend himself and block his father's attack. Vegeta made sure to go easy on his son. That was out of character for Vegeta; though Vegeta didn't show his affection for his son in public, Vegeta loved his son very much.

But Ryujin wanted to push himself as much as possible. The boy had decided to do anything to be as strong as his father. So when Vegeta stopped the training, Ryu wanted to continue. It took Ryu's Aunt Bulma to convince Ryujin that he had trained enough; it usually involved bribing Ryu with food.

When Ryujin was eight, he began to train with Vegeta in the gravity chamber room. Vegeta started at the lowest level, and as the weeks passed, it increased its gravity. Vegeta was impressed that his son adjusted as quickly as he did. Ryujin's fight skills were progressing nicely, and Vegeta decided to teach him how to control his Ki and fly.

Goku also decided that Trunk must learn about his Ki and how to fly, so he asked Vegeta if they could train the boys. Vegeta thought for a moment, then agreed. The two Saiyans picked up their sons and flew to a remote valley to train. Bulma packed camping gear and food as they would be gone for several days.

When the Saiyans arrived, the boys' training began immediately. It was immediately noticed that Ryujin was more potent than Trunks. It was because Ryujin was 3/4 Saiyan, and Trunks was only half Saiyan. Though Ryugin was more powerful, he never boasted about it or tried to make his best friend feel bad.

The four Saiyans trained in the woods for two weeks. During that time, the boys learned to control their Ki and how to fly. They sparred with each other, imitating their fathers, though not as intensely as the two full Saiyans did.

As the years went by, Ryujin became as stoic as his father, though Vegeta encouraged him to play and spar with Gohan and Trunks. Eventually, Vegeta taught Ryu how to become a Super Saiyan, and that's when his training with his father intensified.

Ryujin was a happy little boy, and on his eleventh birthday, Bulma threw Ryujin a colossal party. It was one of the most fun the boy had had in a long time. His party was interrupted by a knock on the door. Bulma answered the door and saw a severe woman dressed in strange green robes. Her hair was in a tight bun with a few strands framing her face. She was wearing glasses and a weird hat.

Vegeta and Goku immediately assumed defensive positions. They felt the power coming from the person at the door. Their sons followed both of their father's lead and did the same thing. Professor McGonagall was surprised by the amount of aggression coming from these people. She gripped the wand hidden in her robes but did not draw it. Instead, she smiled and introduced herself, and explained that she was looking for Ryujin Briefs.

Vegeta glared at the woman, "What do you want with my son?"

"My name is Minerva McGonagall, and I want to discuss your son attending Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. Your son is extraordinary; he's a wizard."

Vegeta laughed, "My son is not going anywhere, you old hag."